1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First attempt with the new format.
Please be patient if in wrong place.

Question:
When turning the motor on a 287 by hand on the armature there is a point at which it slightly binds. (Cross head and connecting rod removed.)
If someone removed the drive wheels on this loco. and didn't get them perfectly quartered, but close might it produce this slight binding?
Runs w / wo the cross head linkage.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
If it runs fine without the linkage, then yes, I would say the quartering is off. Quartering a a 6 wheel chassis can be intimating but is easy without the jig..Take the connecting rod and using the large screws you would use on the middle set of drivers, screw the connecting rod to the wheel set on 1 side. This will position the correct quartering on that side, and keep the wheel sets from moving. Now turn it over and eyeball the quartering on the opposite side. It should be the same, right around 90 degrees from the other side.If it isn't, then the quartering is off. Simply remove the wheel set that is off, and eye-balling it, get it as close as possible in relation to the other wheels.( use the other connecting rod for a go/no go tool.If you still can't get it right, I'll do it for you, no charge, just pay shipping both ways.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks flyer nut,
By messing with this problem I think I now understand why these have to be quartered.
I'm not ready to start removing wheels yet and thus learning how to quarter, mainly learning the rivet / eyelet procedures now.
The binding on this loco is not really noticeable while running, I can just feel it when I turn the armature by hand.
Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts