Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trip current of the MRC AD 520 AR is 2 Amps ....... does anyone know if you can lower this externally or is it locked into the internal circuitry

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I think you should Email MRC about this...they're the best source of such info.It's rated at two or five amps. depending where you look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NCE DCC Powercab

The NCE Powercab trips at 2 Amps .... I use a Digitrax AR 1 on my main modules and have no problems .... set up a module to play with the Kato turntable and used an MRC AD 520 (because of its compact size) ..... literature says it trips at 2 Amps ...... Powercab is tripping before the AD 520 .... my fault for not researching fully ....... wondering if there is some way to modify it or add resistance externally before I take it out.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Well...you have a problem indeed.The PowerCab isn't strong enough to trigger the AD520.Unless you're planning to add a booster from wich you'd power your turntable,the AR1 is your solution.

P.S. When it comes to DCC,stay away from MRC.

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
P.S. When it comes to DCC,stay away from MRC.
I beg to differ. This is largely an outdated reputation based on some early missteps in the field. Some of their older decoders are suspect, and they made a questionable decision on their computer interface, but their systems are great.

This is especially true if you rank ease of use and human engineering factors high on your list of requirements.

As with any other purchase, do your research (using unbiased sources) and make an informed decision.

BTW, I don't see the AD520 listed as anything but 5.0 amps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts