Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just one a pair of Aluminum passenger cars. The look to be good candidates for a restoration. Never having delt with aluminum cars I have the following questions:

1. How do I remove to corrosion
2. Who made these, seller stated they may be Mantua but not sure.
3. What should be used to glue the windows in? (will not reuse the existing as they have clouded.
4. Any issues with using Athearn trucks and wheels to light them?
5. What era were these types of cars used in? I was thinking of pulling them with an SD 9 that I have.

Attachments

T

·
0 Posts
I have a pair just like that myself, and I do think they are mantuas (dont have original boxes anymore, but remember they were blue and white). I removed the original light kit that was inside, old single bulb.
Have you checked the baggage door to see if it still slides open on both sides of the car?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The baggage door is stuck on one side, I did not know they were supposed to open. One is off but included.

These do not look to have ever been lighted. They came with only one truck for both cars. I have some Athearn BB ones of RPO cars that look to be good fits. Plan to use grain of wheat bulbs in these. I know everyone likes LEDs etc. Everything in my set is old school so I plan to keep it that way for a while.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Thank you for the plug, T-Man!

I'd start off by removing the aluminum shells from the floors; start by washing them in dishwater and scrubbing them with a toothbrush. That will let you see how much is accumulated dirt and how much is pitting from corrosion. If they are pitted, you can either polish the metal to a high luster or buff them down with a dremel, using jeweler's rouge. Why not do the wash and then post some closeups of what you're dealing with?

Best wishes,

·
Paper Shuffler Extraordinaire
1,611 Posts
Depending on the level of pitting and the desired sheen, you can use NevrDull for polishing them. http://www.nevrdull.com/ Kinda looks like loose wool or cotton. Used it for years polishing chrome and stainless trim pieces. I now use it on golf clubs I want to reduce spin on.

The advantage over a Dremel and rouge is it's all hand action. No chance of accidentally going too far.

Carl

·
Registered
974 Posts
Depending on the level of pitting and the desired sheen, you can use NevrDull for polishing them. http://www.nevrdull.com/ Kinda looks like loose wool or cotton. Used it for years polishing chrome and stainless trim pieces. I now use it on golf clubs I want to reduce spin on.

The advantage over a Dremel and rouge is it's all hand action. No chance of accidentally going too far.

Carl

thats my luck I take a dremel to something and a few minutes later its dust:D:eek:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I remember NevrDull from polishing brass. *L* I'd forgotten all about it!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
TKruger, mine were so badly pitted, I ended up using a bench grinder to work on them. Took off the stones and replaced them with large cotton buffing wheels, used a range of buffing compounds and then polishing them with a fine-grained silver polish at the end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts