Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I get it... the hobby is expensive at times... I like nice things like most people but....

Do people really pay this kind of money for a 1:87 plastic truck with a plastic trailer?

A white 1:87 semi - $10.00 or less
A low boy 1:87 trailer- $9.00 or less
A sheet of decals of your choice - $5.00 or less (DIY for less than $1.00)
Scratch built boxes for cargo - $1.00 or less

Total $25.00 maximum cost.

You could have a fleet of 6 - roughly $150.00 maximum cost or you can have 1 for $150.00.... 馃

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-1-87-TO...776964?hash=item3b42340944:g:qhEAAOSwXI1eSHky

Again, am I missing something here?

Registered
some people don't want to do any work, just prefer to buy ....
there's all different sorts of people on here, :)

Registered
Flip that around... if YOU could ebay something for $150 that didn't cost you much but some time...

Would you?

I would... and if a suck.. i mean.. someone wants to buy it.. great...

Registered
What they ask and what it sells for are often different numbers....
Well yes and no. Because it is buy it now so it is a set price but you can also make an offer And see if they will take it

Registered
Even if it's buy now, it may not sell for that.....often it gets re-listed at a lower price....so I stand by my original statement....

Of course, there is a sucker born every minute.....and maybe it's an item that someone just has to have, no matter how expensive it is.....

What an item sold for is more useful than what an item is listed for, if you are trying to figure out how much you should bid, or how much an item is really worth.....and there's that word, worth....stuff is worth more to some than others....

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Even if it's buy now, it may not sell for that.....often it gets re-listed at a lower price....so I stand by my original statement....

Of course, there is a sucker born every minute.....and maybe it's an item that someone just has to have, no matter how expensive it is.....

What an item sold for is more useful than what an item is listed for, if you are trying to figure out how much you should bid, or how much an item is really worth.....and there's that word, worth....stuff is worth more to some than others....
This is true. The best way to tell is search the 鈥渟old鈥 listings and see what things actually sell for. Even at say $100.00 each someone could really profit well. Heck even at $50.00 each there is room for a nice profit. Buy low, sell high the root process of the market.

There is a seller I have ran across many times who sells decals only of all the big names. 32 to a sheet for $9.99 and a shipping fee which I don鈥檛 recall. Buy a bulk lot of HO vehicles, add some painting here and there, slap some decals on them and off you go.

One has a decent low maintenance little business going with really no special skills to do so. Ahhh the American dream... :SELLIT:

Registered
There is one rule that applies to selling or buying anything! Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

Registered
This is true. The best way to tell is search the 鈥渟old鈥 listings and see what things actually sell for. Even at say $100.00 each someone could really profit well. Heck even at $50.00 each there is room for a nice profit. Buy low, sell high the root process of the market.

There is a seller I have ran across many times who sells decals only of all the big names. 32 to a sheet for $9.99 and a shipping fee which I don鈥檛 recall. Buy a bulk lot of HO vehicles, add some painting here and there, slap some decals on them and off you go.

One has a decent low maintenance little business going with really no special skills to do so. Ahhh the American dream... :SELLIT:
If you happen to have a link, I'd love to see that deal. I've got some plain trucks in need of brands.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 12 of 12 Posts