Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a dozen Ameri-town buildings. These were purchased 2-4 years ago and they were quite reasonable price wise. I looked online last night and the costs have increased 100-150+%!! Plastic go up that much? :mad: Anyone hear anything that might explain the price increase.

· Registered
67 Posts
They gave a warning on their forum a while back on the imminent pricing increases and recommended people to buy early (they even gave a date). IIRC they said it would be about a 40% increase. I was looking at them the other week and they are expensive but now everything else is, too.

· Registered
5,797 Posts
I have a number of Ameritown buildings and fronts. I also have a number of Atlas O buildings. As dbat77 said, the Ameritown stuff was reasonably priced. But they are not as detailed as Atlas and since they have no separate details like windows and doors, they are a PITA to paint. After seeing this thread, I checked out prices for comparable size kits. Atlas is still more expensive, but now the difference in price is small. If I was in the market for structures today, I would definitely go with Atlas over Ameritown.

· Railroad Tycoon
26,089 Posts
Ameri-town buildings? never heard of them.
Off to google. :)

Reactions: sjm9911

· Railroad Tycoon
26,089 Posts
Ed, Ameritown is made and sold by OGR.
Yeah, I saw that after googling.
Better not talk bad about them huh? :)
Price?
I wonder why anyone would question why?
EVERYTHING has gone up, EVERYTHING! (n) Unless you been living in a bubble like a hermit and don't read or watch TV or talk to anyone.
Everything has gone up, but the quality has gone down, everyone should know the reason by now. :cool:

Reactions: BigGRacing

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I saw that after googling.
Better not talk bad about them huh? :)
Price?
I wonder why anyone would question why?
EVERYTHING has gone up, EVERYTHING! (n) Unless you been living in a bubble like a hermit and don't read or watch TV or talk to anyone.
Everything has gone up, but the quality has gone down, everyone should know the reason by now. :cool:
I am well aware of the economic situation...however, the other companies that make similar products(with better detail IMO) have NOT had the large percentage price increase like Ameri-towne.

· Registered
9,927 Posts
I think that one way or another if you want a good looking, detailed building, you are going to spend alot of $$$ or time or both.

Despite not liking all the aspects of Ameri-town kits, and definately not likely OGR, I bought a bunch of those kits about a year ago when I found them at "distress prices," for a planned expansion of my layout. While I haven't had a lot of enthusiasm for my trains lately I do see myself getting back into working on the modeling of the layout and my downtown area - soon.

Ameri-town kits, I think, are just about perfect for heavy-duty bashing, which I what i intended all along. I want to make a whole new street of scratchbuilt, woodland scenics buildings, and Ameri-town. In particular, I see myself using the ameri-town kits, bashed, to make one or two of the more appealing Wood Scenics single-story stores (like the TV shop with the working TVs) into multisctory buildings to fit into my downtown area, adding two or three stories to them with the Ameri-town panels cut to fit the Woodland Scenics first floor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts