Model Train Forum banner

Ameri-Town O Scale Buildings Cost Went UP $$$$$$$$ What is going on??

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  dbat77 
#1 ·
I have about a dozen Ameri-town buildings. These were purchased 2-4 years ago and they were quite reasonable price wise. I looked online last night and the costs have increased 100-150+%!! Plastic go up that much? :mad: Anyone hear anything that might explain the price increase.

#9 ·
They gave a warning on their forum a while back on the imminent pricing increases and recommended people to buy early (they even gave a date). IIRC they said it would be about a 40% increase. I was looking at them the other week and they are expensive but now everything else is, too.

#10 ·
I have a number of Ameritown buildings and fronts. I also have a number of Atlas O buildings. As dbat77 said, the Ameritown stuff was reasonably priced. But they are not as detailed as Atlas and since they have no separate details like windows and doors, they are a PITA to paint. After seeing this thread, I checked out prices for comparable size kits. Atlas is still more expensive, but now the difference in price is small. If I was in the market for structures today, I would definitely go with Atlas over Ameritown.

#13 ·
Yeah, I saw that after googling.
Better not talk bad about them huh? :)
Price?
I wonder why anyone would question why?
EVERYTHING has gone up, EVERYTHING! (n) Unless you been living in a bubble like a hermit and don't read or watch TV or talk to anyone.
Everything has gone up, but the quality has gone down, everyone should know the reason by now. :cool:

Reactions: BigGRacing
#20 ·
I think that one way or another if you want a good looking, detailed building, you are going to spend alot of $$$ or time or both.

Despite not liking all the aspects of Ameri-town kits, and definately not likely OGR, I bought a bunch of those kits about a year ago when I found them at "distress prices," for a planned expansion of my layout. While I haven't had a lot of enthusiasm for my trains lately I do see myself getting back into working on the modeling of the layout and my downtown area - soon.

Ameri-town kits, I think, are just about perfect for heavy-duty bashing, which I what i intended all along. I want to make a whole new street of scratchbuilt, woodland scenics buildings, and Ameri-town. In particular, I see myself using the ameri-town kits, bashed, to make one or two of the more appealing Wood Scenics single-story stores (like the TV shop with the working TVs) into multisctory buildings to fit into my downtown area, adding two or three stories to them with the Ameri-town panels cut to fit the Woodland Scenics first floor.

#21 ·
I think that one way or another if you want a good looking, detailed building, you are going to spend alot of $$$ or time or both.

Despite not liking all the aspects of Ameri-town kits, and definately not likely OGR, I bought a bunch of those kits about a year ago when I found them at "distress prices," for a planned expansion of my layout. While I haven't had a lot of enthusiasm for my trains lately I do see myself getting back into working on the modeling of the layout and my downtown area - soon.

Ameri-town kits, I think, are just about perfect for heavy-duty bashing, which I what i intended all along. I want to make a whole new street of scratchbuilt, woodland scenics buildings, and Ameri-town. In particular, I see myself using the ameri-town kits, bashed, to make one or two of the more appealing Wood Scenics single-story stores (like the TV shop with the working TVs) into multisctory buildings to fit into my downtown area, adding two or three stories to them with the Ameri-town panels cut to fit the Woodland Scenics first floor.
I agree I would have to spend $$$ and time. I use my Ameri-Towne kits for a downtown area too. I bought my kits about 3 years ago. They were very reasonably priced then. When I did my 2nd and 3rd layout expansions, I added another town, but I just need a few building(which I have) for this town. I am glad I bought 3 years ago. :)

#23 ·
Its like anything else in life, if you don't like the price of it, you are free to go somewhere else. If enough people do that, they go out of buisness. If enough people buy it they stay in buisness. The main point is ot is discreationary spending. Its not like its something people need to survive, like food. So you have the choice. Food, you need to buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.