Model Train Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I searched for the listing but only found some 3 digit listings.
Not sure how to post...smile... was incorrect on coloring...blue and gold though...smile... here is the link if that helps...smile... if you are interesting in looking at it...smile...https://www.ebay.com/itm/184415848479

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I have never noticed that ATC mark on any reefer but I am not a student of the prototype. I can say I have never seen that mark on any model of the red BAR reefer in any scale.
The 5 digit 21910 3 engine set is more rare than the 3 digit predecessor. The difference in operation would be a 2 position vs 4 position reverse unit.
Thank you for the info...smile...hope you do not mind all my questions...smile... have to wonder if there were any real railroads that had that emblem... like BNSE? have no idea what railroads were around back when the 24425 car was made...? will let me brother know about the difference on the 21910 set...smile... your input is greatly appreciaed...have a good evening...smile...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thank you for the info...smile...hope you do not mind all my questions...smile... have to wonder if there were any real railroads that had that emblem... like BNSE? have no idea what railroads were around back when the 24425 car was made...? will let me brother know about the difference on the 21910 set...smile... your input is greatly appreciaed...have a good evening...smile...
Hi Tom… thank you for providing Joe’s name… and thank you for your valuable information and thoughts…smile… I reached out to the librarian at the TCA who was kind enough to contact him for me… he was not familiar with an ATC symbol on the 24425 car or on any Gilbert car. Looking at the picture, he thought it appeared to be a production run car (all lettering clear and sharp, paper label, etc.) Without seeing the car and being able to study the symbol, it would be hard to tell from a picture if it was painted on as the rest of the lettering or applied later. He did not see any decal film around the symbol when he looked at the picture, but it could possibly be a dry transfer that was added later by an owner of the car. He said that one way to tell if the ATC symbol is dry transfer is to lightly run your finger over the symbol. A dry transfer will be slightly raised (you can feel the ridges of the lettering) whereas the paint (or heat-stamped lettering would not be slightly raised. You would not be able to feel any ridges of lettering if it is painted or heat-stamped. He was of the opinion that Gilbert would have only used a symbol such as this on a car if it was used and recognized in the railroad world.

This weekend I met with a couple of family members and we have mixed feelings… I think it feels slightly different but not necessarily raised…smile… so not sure of my next step to try to find out about this car…smile…happen to have a railroad museum in the area…thinking of checking with them…smile… hope all is well everyone…smile…TrainGirl…

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
That was very nice of the TCA Librarian to contact Joe for you. Joe Deger and Bob Bubek are the two best collectors I can think of to ask about the originality of the stamp. I will be curious what the railroad museum might say about prototype use of that stamp. I thought the origin of the stamp could be one of the refrigeration equipment suppliers. I searched around but did not see any evidence of the logo there either.
I am as certain as one can be that is not a dry transfer. A dry transfer would not have light and dark variations in the white markings as that car does. Plus, who would have invested in making dies to cut the dry transfers for this logo?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
That was very nice of the TCA Librarian to contact Joe for you. Joe Deger and Bob Bubek are the two best collectors I can think of to ask about the originality of the stamp. I will be curious what the railroad museum might say about prototype use of that stamp. I thought the origin of the stamp could be one of the refrigeration equipment suppliers. I searched around but did not see any evidence of the logo there either.
I am as certain as one can be that is not a dry transfer. A dry transfer would not have light and dark variations in the white markings as that car does. Plus, who would have invested in making dies to cut the dry transfers for this logo?
Yes, I thought it was really nice of her to contact Joe too...smile... and appreciate the names...have seen them in the books my dad had...smile...appreciate you checking some...and am very appreciative of your thoughts...smile... I also looked online some and did not really see anything...and I have no knowledge of dry transfer or heat stamp... I know what a decal is though...although have no idea of what they might look like on a car like that... I ran my finger over some of my dad's other car symbols and this car felt the same to me...smile...learning a lot though...smile...TrainGirl

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
ATC is Automatic Temperature Control. Several manufacturers of these systems supplied them to the mechanical reefer car constructors. That is what caused me to search the system suppliers to see if one of them had trademarked the stamp on TrainGirl's 24425 . I did not find any evidence of that.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I looked around some last night also. Found nothing. I have no doubt that ATC is automatic temperature control.
I was just wondering how she came up with that.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Those are the three words in the annular space of the stamping. I opened the picture on my 13" iPad then expanded the image to read it. It is fuzzy but barely legible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
ATC is Automatic Temperature Control. Several manufacturers of these systems supplied them to the mechanical reefer car constructors. That is what caused me to search the system suppliers to see if one of them had trademarked the stamp on TrainGirl's 24425 . I did not find any evidence of that.
Such interesting info...smile... hate to ask stupid? questions as you have been so wonderful and are so knowledgeable... so mechanical reefer car constructors are companies that may have used that symbol and if they did they would have trademarked it? Geez... smile...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
When reefers transitioned from ice to mechanical cooling, the systems were designed and supplied to the car builders by several refrigeration firms. It was just a wild idea I had that the ATC symbol belonged to one of the manufacturers. I could not find any evidence of that.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I too have been looking around for the meaning of ATC and found nothing. I tried looking at some UP reefers and none had that insignia. Automatic Temperature Control makes sense to me.

Kenny

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hi guys...thank you so much...smile... I have not had a chance to check with the train museum yet... and am headed out of town for a couple of weeks...smile... so would like to wish everyone a wonderful holiday weekend...be safe out there and take care...TrainGirl

61 - 74 of 74 Posts