Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm putting together an American Flyer 1934 9900 Aluminum set. Piecing it together to get familiar with AF. Disassembly, cleaning, sand blasting, polishing, etc no issues. Figuring out what motors will fit in the power car is challenging. I see many motors that look to be the same size, however some have reverse switches on the sides, some have what appear to be bump switches (I would assume for reverse) on the fronts, some have drive wheels on the right and some on the left. In my limited experience these appear to be XX motors? Don't know what that means but I have seen these described as such. Can anyone shed light on the motor designation. They all seem very similar and look like any of them should work, if I am only concerned with going forward. Correct? So my piecing together this unit is just to get a running train, saving some original AF in the process. eventually I would like to get correct motor but would be happy with any that would work. I understand that I would have to manufacture a top bracket so that the motor would attach to the engine, but that is very straight forward. I have no problem rewiring a motor either, just need to know what to start with.

Thanks,

RichK in Orlando

1 - 3 of 3 Posts