Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all . I run American flyer S gauge trains. Sometimes the knuckler coupler would come undone while the trains were running. Does anyone remember the trick you can do by cutting off a piece of styrofoam and inserting it somewhere in the coupler? Let me know. Thanks in advance , Bob

· Registered
7,064 Posts
I am not familiar with that tip or trick either. But just guessing, I would think a piece between the weight
and bottom of coupler would work. As long as the weight stays down coupler should stay closed.
Welcome to the forum.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
Never heard of that fix either. The first thing that comes to mind is to keep the couplers oiled so the weight stays down. I have noticed the if that shaft holding the weight is a little corroded or sticks, the coupler will not fully engage and will open. I always lubricate all moving parts in the coupler meaning the spring area and the weight shaft. After applying oil on the shaft I move it up and down several times to make sure the shaft moves freely in the slot.

Kenny

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Never heard of that fix either. The first thing that comes to mind is to keep the couplers oiled so the weight stays down. I have noticed the if that shaft holding the weight is a little corroded or sticks, the coupler will not fully engage and will open. I always lubricate all moving parts in the coupler meaning the spring area and the weight shaft. After applying oil on the shaft I move it up and down several times to make sure the shaft moves freely in the slot.

Kenny
I am not familiar with that tip or trick either. But just guessing, I would think a piece between the weight
and bottom of coupler would work. As long as the weight stays down coupler should stay closed.
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you , all of you , for your ideas . I will try oiling the couplers and see how it goes . Now that I am rethinking everything in my head , some of my rolling stock is converted link couplers that my have to be adjusted. Also I have 2 re - railers on my layout that I will check as well. I have heard over the years that the plastic can warp between the rails and cause the some height differences that may cause the couplers to come undone. Still would like to hear more about the styrofoam fix. Thanks again, Bob

· Registered
72 Posts
Hi All, Question: how do you remove and replace a couple from a metal truck? There seems to be two clips that hold the coulper in place, but how do you remove or move or loosen them to remove the broken coulper?
Welcome to our newcomers. You folks are needed and appreciated! Those clips you reference are just the mild steel tabs that Mr. A.C. Gilbert used to hold the knuckle couplers into their homes. A properly sized needle nose pliers will grab them so you can bend them away from the coupler. You might have to start to lift them with a sharp pick, screwdriver, etc. Be careful. Bend them no more than necessary, no need to tempt fate with formed steel... Then remove old coupler, insert replacement, and twist tabs back down to retain. Voila' ! It is good to have various sized needle-nose pliers when working with these toys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts