Model Train Forum banner

American Flyer Train Available

7K views 75 replies 11 participants last post by  mopac 
#1 ·
Hi. I have an American Flyer set with a 312AC loco, six cars, a transformer, track, some switches & misc. stuff. The transformer turns on but the wipers need to be cleaned as there is only intermittent power. I haven't used the train in a couple of decades. If someone is seriously interested in putting it back in service it's free to a good home, all I ask is you pay shipping. I have a small business FedEx account so hopefully I can keep the cost of shipping reasonable. Please let me know if you're interested.

Attachments

See less See more
#62 ·
Another problem I will have to look into is I always turn the armature when I get a new to me loco. I can get a full rotation of the drivers, but there are 2 spots that is hard to turn. Eyeballing the drivers they look fine. Maybe it is
the linkage. I will take all the rods off and see. Well that won't work. The wheels need to be connected. Maybe take the eccentric linkage loose. I really doubt the owner had the wheels off.

Tom, as you know the sun is different this time of year. It was sunny, but sun was on other side of loco instead of behind me. But I thought good enough to post.

#64 ·
By taking off the connecting, you can trouble-shoot which wheel set is binding, if it is a wheel set. Maybe a bent armature shaft, not likely but maybe..The eccentric linkage, as you already know, must be in the correct position to eliminate any binding, should be a easy fix for you with your knowledge.

#68 ·
I still need to take and post pics of the rest of stuff in the big heavy box sent by Many Cool Toys.
Maybe 4 passenger cars and the turnouts. I wanted to finish them today but rain and clouds last couple
days. No sun. That was very generous of Many Cool Toys. Some nice stuff. I told him I would try to get a video
of the train running after I get it running. I have not tried to run it yet. Might need a new tender harness and its been packed away for years. Will shoot for sat or sunday. Yes, I am slow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.