Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Oil Derrick thread turned into talking about my water tower not bubbling, figured I would start a new thread on this in case any one knows something about this but wasn't reading the derrick thread.

Got it off ebay about 2 years ago now. Cheap, of course, and not bubbling. Checked around at that time for fixes and didn't find a long tube like it has so just left it as lit up.

Got suggestions in other thread to try to fix it. Blower dryer on it didn't help. Thought I would get another bulb and try that and left it on counter to take with me, only the new little kitty decided to play with it (or I assume that is why it is now missing) so now I need to know what bulb to get. It is a screw in bulb. This one.

http://www.lionel.com/media/servicedocuments/74-9809-250.pdf

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yet another reason for me not to get a cat.

Methinks its the bulb.

Since it never worked, and you bought it used, my money is on a new bulb.

Acording Lionel's site, the bulb is 2.25 watts. (I'm sure someone will correct me if needed.)

You could not hold one in your hand if lit up.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yet another reason for me not to get a cat.

Methinks its the bulb.

Since it never worked, and you bought it used, my money is on a new bulb.

Acording Lionel's site, the bulb is 2.25 watts. (I'm sure someone will correct me if needed.)

You could not hold one in your hand if lit up.
I know the bulb lit up, but whether it was dimming and that was the issue I can't say for sure. I always thought the tower never lit up enough, but I did look at the bulb before it got "lost" and it said 14v and I thought numbers 450 or 405 or something like that to help me identify getting one. Checked WalMart and Lowe's and nothing looked like it

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the postwar version of that tower (23772) and mine took forever to start bubbling. Once I stuffed a bit of fiberglass insulation around the bulb, the time shortened to about 10 minutes.

If yours is the older version, I'll try to get the bulb number off mine. If it's the newer version like the PDF you gave a link for, I wouldn't know if it is still the same bulb or not.

The tubes are available, though they're not cheap (around $20 IIRC). The fluid in mine turned yellow, and I thought about buying a new clear one.

Hope this helps,

J White

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ordered the bulb, along with pieces needed for pumping station and bulb isn't fixing the water bubbling issue. Christmas bubble lights should be on the shelf any day now and I can try that route to fix it!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
ordered the bulb, along with pieces needed for pumping station and bulb isn't fixing the water bubbling issue. Christmas bubble lights should be on the shelf any day now and I can try that route to fix it!
Are you saying you received the specifed bulb and it didn't work either?

If so, what is the voltage at the tower? The instructions say the tower operates up to 18 volts. Mine runs fine on 12v, but when I had it on 16v while connected to my trusty 1033, it bubbled too much.

How long did you wait until you gave up? Mine takes several minutes to start bubbling. Not like the Christmas lights which seem to start immediately.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I ordered the bulb from Lionel that was specified as the one for this.

It is running off the accessory of the Z1000 and when tested putting out 13 volts at the accessory port.

Left the power to it for maybe 10 min. I'll try leaving it on longer when I run trains today and see if that helps it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But its connected to the TIU which is putting out power to the track so therefore it should be more volts, right?

still learning this electrical stuff, give me a break :)

·
Admin
45,001 Posts
Depends on what you're putting into the TIU. ;)

You should get a simple multimeter so you can measure stuff like this. Here's an excellent one that will work for most anything you'll be doing around the trains, and the AC clamp-on ammeter is really useful.

6 Function Mini Digital Clamp Meter

1 - 20 of 155 Posts