Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So along with the ExactRail I got this too. I just now got it out to look over.

My road number is 9569.

Now I see although I thought otherwise it has also sort of little adds ons and the "cut lever". It's quite solid feeling as well. All the writing save one item is legible with a magnifying glass. The blue end-caps, wheels and truck stand out.

I paid $40. (normally in all honesty if I were in the store, I'd walk right on by... but it's pretty nice really.)

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
I have several of these cars (CSX & NS) that I got from our "Train Pimp"... all different road numbers.
They're nicely detailed, with etched roof walks, underbody accoutrements, and scale-looking ladders, grabs, and steps. Excellent lettering. They're also very durable.
They're weight-compliant, and superb rollers... no TruckTuning needed.
However, the couplers have no trip pins, so you might want to couple them together all in a row, and keep them that way.
Wheel faces are too shiny.
MSRP is $48... online price is about $32.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be getting another as well as similar on the exactrail, other post. I'm going to suggest they stock of more each and maybe Tangent. Not sure they will. But I could order direct. So are these three the top of the heap?

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
InterMountain and Walthers Proto are excellent.
Walthers Mainline and Athearn RTR are very good.
Walthers Proto & Mainline come with ProtoMax couplers.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Scale Trains is one of the best. Forgot about those.
20190302_184616~3.jpg

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i forget to say i just ordered 3 things direct from ExactRail. I have yet to get anything from scale trains but that looks quite good above. I like the Athearn Genesis 2.0 SD90 mac details (have yet to put power to it!) but I do not have a "rivet counter" to compare it against. I was toying with the idea of something like this -- Rivet Counter HO Scale GE Tier 4 GEVo, Kansas City Southern/Belle

or one of the others but Id have to really look into and then of course have a convincing argument on the home front -- which might not go well.

and i never considered their rolling stock.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
In the hierarchy of 'detail and quality', (or 'quality of detail') I'd rank the best rolling stock brands on LHS shelves in the following order.
... based on personal preference.

Tangent
Scale Trains
ExactRail
Walthers Proto
InterMountain
Atlas
American Limited
Walthers Mainline
Athearn RTR
AccuReady (Accurail RTR)
Bowser Executive
Stewart

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The local one I do some business at has none of that except a smattering of the ExactRail, Athearn and a few others. They predominantly have Bachmann in HO. This is similar in engines. Now ModelTrainStuff which is really M.B. Klein in Baltimore which was kinda near me had a lot of good stuff, but closed their retail entrance. I also read they stopped selling ScaleTrains -- not sure why.

Partially I have no Scale Trains or some of the others as I'm loath to pre-order. I just don't really like the model. I'd rather buy off the shelf. But when it's not on the shelf, then of course that's a problem. And of course I do some online purchasing... but would prefer not to only have that option as well.

At least with MB Klein they were big enough to put these others out on the floor.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Here's a comparison of ScaleTrains & Athearn Genesis quality.
The top photo is my Genesis SD75M.
The middle pic is a RivetCounter ET44AC. The level of detail is about the same.
And just to confuse you, the bottom photo is an Athearn RTR SD40R... with quality just about as good.
20190302_180652~3.jpg
20190430_085147~2.jpg
20190213_204931~3.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Near the bottom third of my list is Walthers Mainline.
Don't sell them short. They're fine models.
20190204_215602~5.jpg
20190204_214956~4.jpg

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the athearn rebranding to "genesis 2.0" is an attempt to catch up to scale train rivet counter. that's my take. as for whether one can tell past 6" or so... i mean, ok maybe not. I can't read the signage.labels even with a low power magnifier on the SD90 mac.

But here's my take -- a lot of this now is people posting pictures of their model -- possibly meticulously weathered, the terrain -- meticulously place .... and so folks want it for that. whether they see it live as the train goes round is -- a secondary issue.

really what people want now is after their post of all that work someone to say: "Wait, that's a model!? I thought you snuck in some prototype pics!"

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Two points you might consider:

1.) The biggest concern for me when purchasing any model is a coupler issue. I won't operate without Kadees or ProtoMax, so I always swap over.
A few brands (e.g., ExactRail & Tangent) come with Kadees. Walthers Proto & Mainline come with ProtoMax.

2.) Just about any major brand of diesel road locomotive purchased within the last 5 years (with a few exceptions) is likely a good runner and very powerful.
Bachmann locos for instance, are not known for pulling power, but adding weight helps.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kadees appear to be a kind of standard here. i guess the issue is if they build the whole kit and its assembled there, why deal with kadee. etc...

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
We don't swap out couplers because it's cool.
We do it because it's eventually necessary.

Reactions: cid

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought it partially for looks but operationally if it matters one imagines a singular brand across the layout would be most consistent. anyway i have no real idea, but i have kadees on the items i've "improved".

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Kadee and ProtoMax don't only function better... they're metal, and they last forever.
Plastic couplers might function okay for a while, but they're subject to flexing and warping, and they'll eventually give out... and Murphy will make it happen at bad times and in bad places.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts