Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got these in today in a box lot. I have never heard of this company. I got 3 cars but no locomotive.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,037 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ed for the correction and the information! I wonder how hard it would be to find a locomotive. The cars are long and heavy.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Depends on what loco you want. The AMT/KMT f7's are rather difficult to find. The Alco's a little easier. Your passenger cars were actually to run behind Lionel F3's because, at the time, Lionel didn't have any "long" passenger cars.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,037 Posts
Thanks Ed for the correction and the information! I wonder how hard it would be to find a locomotive. The cars are long and heavy.
There is an All American Toy company, but they mainly make vehicles.

They say that the ones you purchased are well made and detailed nice.
What do you think? Do they light up?
I never held any of them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that. I did hook them up to my lionel 2343 and it pulled them just fine. Knowing now what you sent me I am okay with doing that. I will however keep my eye out for a loco made by them. Appreciate you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is an All American Toy company, but they mainly make vehicles.

They say that the ones you purchased are well made and detailed nice.
What do you think? Do they light up?
I never held any of them.
Ed....they are in great shape and they all light up. They are long (I didn't measure) and they are very heavy. The trucks are odd in that they flex and I have never seen that before. Appreciate you.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
What are the dimensions of the passenger cars (H x W x L). Measure height from the top of a track to the tallest part of the car. and measure length without the couplers. That will allow you to match the size when procuring an engine. I would discount a Williams Santa Fe War Bonnet F series engine for this set. They have a extremely reliable drive train. But you need to verify size. Williams made these locos ala O-27 size and scale size.

I might take some automotive polishing compound to the top of the aluminum cars. It won,t remove the deeper scratches, but it may give a nice shine to the car tops.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are the dimensions of the passenger cars (H x W x L). Measure height from the top of a track to the tallest part of the car. and measure length without the couplers. That will allow you to match the size when procuring an engine. I would discount a Williams Santa Fe War Bonnet F series engine for this set. They have a extremely reliable drive train. But you need to verify size. Williams made these locos ala O-27 size and scale size.

I might take some automotive polishing compound to the top of the aluminum cars. It won,t remove the deeper scratches, but it may give a nice shine to the car tops.
Thanks Mike...I appreciate you!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
The complete set consisted of 9 passenger cars. Mail Express, baggage, baggage crew, domer, roomette, diner, coach, observation. I have the complete set in the Santa Fe. Also came in NYC, Pennsy, Texas Special, Southern, B&O, and C&NW.

Manufactured from 1948 through 1953 as American Model Toys, 1954 as American Model Trains, 1955 as Kusan Auburn, 1956 through 1958 as Kusan Model Trains. The first 3 years manufactured by the sand cast process then switched over to extruded aluminum process.

Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Bill for the info! I feel fortunate to have the ones I have but it has opened my eyes to look deeper at some of these trains that I normally just look past. Appreciate you!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Those are amazing! I was able to purchase a lionel santa fe 2243 engine and a santa fe 2343 this week. The 2343 has magna traction and should pull nicely. Your engines are amazing! Appreciate you!
Hmmm, magna traction sounds familiar. I wonder if there is any connection to Lionel?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Morning Bob! I am on vacation this week and it has been enjoyable slipping back into the trains. Both of the santa fe's I got this week are by lionel and the 2343 has magnatraction. I am not sure of the 2243. Both sets come in this week and I anxiously await thier arrival. The American model train cars were a challenge to some of my other loco's. I put the 2343 I already had on the consist and it pulled them with no problems. I love the santa fe's and I want a hiawatha. Appreciate you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts