Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've heard me confess this before ... "I have a problem. An addiction, really ... to Lionel prewar 1681 locos."

Well, the euphoric (and yet self-destructive) altered state of bliss continues ...

While ebay-cruising, I stumbled across the following "parts lot". A little wheeling, dealing, and back-alley bidding, and wham ... an addict scores, with a quick fix soon to be on its way in the mail ...

From what I can tell, it's 2 complete locos, plus 1 loco with motor but no wheels, 1 other loco shell (only), and an extra boiler front ... which will fit perfectly with one of the other loco shells that I've had sitting on my bench. From what I can see in the ebay pics, the paint on the middle red loco shell appears to be in very nice shape.

I'm so giddy ... it's a prewar tinplate euphoric high!

QUESTIONS ...

There are some other "parts" stuff that come with the package. I haven't had a close look, but I'm wondering what do I have with the little 4-wheeled car (loco shell) that's on the left with the blue front/back bumpers? Can someone identify that for me?

And what about the light grey colored item just above that car (an below the tender) that looks like it's sort of folded out on itself ... what is that ???

More fix-it projects ... I'm stoked!

TJ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Score!

You have part of one of these

#50 handcar

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Dave,

THANKS! Cool. I'm wondering if one of those field coils that shown separately on the right in my first photo might go to the handcar. It looks like it just has the armature sticking up. Maybe I'll be lucky, and it'll be a matched field coil.

I appreciate the help!

TJ

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hey, Dave,

THANKS! Cool. I'm wondering if one of those field coils that shown separately on the right in my first photo might go to the handcar. It looks like it just has the armature sticking up. Maybe I'll be lucky, and it'll be a matched field coil.

I appreciate the help!

TJ
The armature is held in by the orange part. You will also need the springs and brushes and whatever else is missing from the switching mechanism.

FYI, I was at a show 2 weeks ago where you could buy "ok" handcars for $35.

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,

Thanks.

Hey, just to clarify ... we've been saying "hand car" ... that's a "gang car", right?

Cheers,

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,712 Posts
Do you have more pictures of the gray thin?

what is the gold colored post?

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ed,

I haven't receive the stuff yet ... likely won't get it until next week.

I'll snap some more pics of the grey "bent over" thing, then. I'm clueless as to what that might be. Anyone ???

The gold post looks like the base of a #56 lamp post to me. Doyle's book shows that sharing the same hex-post base. What do you think?

TJ

·
Admin
43,794 Posts
I'll snap some more pics of the grey "bent over" thing, then. I'm clueless as to what that might be. Anyone ???
No need for more pictures. That's the guts of the Lionel 3454 Merchandise car, I'm working on one on my bench as we speak. ;) It's a pretty scarce car, so I suspect you might be able to sell the innards to someone trying to fix one.

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John,

THANK YOU! I had no idea what that gizmo was. In fact, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "merchandise car". I just had a 'net look at a few ... pretty neat, with the automated package unloading.

I haven't received the ebay lot, but are you interested in the gizmo innards?

TJ

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My odd-lot addict ebay score arrived a day ago. Lionel 1681 prewar loco bits galore, plus other odds-n-ends.

The treasure of the lot is one of the red 1681 loco shells. All original, in excellent condition ... just a few tiny, tiny paint chips. As far as I can tell, it was never run ... there's no evidence of a front truck ever scraping the underside of the steam chest. I'm guessing it was an inventoried spare, never used. Nice find for me ... one less that I'll have to strip and repaint.

I'm excited that one of the motors has an intact manual reverse switch, rather than an e-unit. One of my restored 1681's has one of those, and I had fun rewiring it. Works nicely, too ... no hum, of course!

One odd find that has me perplexed ...

These 1681 locos originally had 8-spoked drive wheels ... one side with gears, the other without. One of the motors in the lot has had a wheel replaced ... but instead of having gear teeth on the back, it simply has two small studs that protrude from the back face. Each stud is approx 1/8" diameter x 1/8" tall ... about 11/16" apart from each other. Clearly, this would be non-functional in the motor as found (no gear!). But why would a wheel ever have been made with two studs on the back like that? Spacers of some sort? Anyone know ???

(I'll post pics of the wheel when I can.)

The 56 lamp post is in nice shape, except that it's missing it's top. Anyone know where I could find replacement / repro tops (glass, finial, etc.)? I haven't checked with Jeff Kane on this, yet.

There's a whistle inside the black tender! I haven't peeked inside yet. The tender trucks and pickup rollers are shot/gone ... but hey ... a whistle!

Cheers,

TJ

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drive wheel with 2 studs on the back ...

T-Man, etc.

Up above, I posed a question about one of the odd drive wheels I found with my misc lot of old Lionel stuff ... a wheel with 2 cylindrical studs (but no gear) on its back face.

T-man suggest that the studs may have engaged a separate gear. Good thinking.

However, by dumb luck, I was poking around ebay, and came across a few different listing of Lionel 1506L's, which were tiny prewar windup locos ... smaller than the 1681's, but with the similar-looking 8-spoked wheels.

Well, when I started to look at some the of ebay pics of the 1506L, I noticed that one of the drive wheels is driven by the windup motor via some sort of open-faced disc ... perhaps this disc engage two studs on the back of the drive wheel?

I'm posting several pics of 1506L's for reference. These are NOT my locos, but rather misc pics from ebay.

For anyone interested, take a look at the "disc" on the front left wheel ... used to transfer power from the spring motor to the drive wheel ...

TJ

Attachments

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
TJ,
It looks like you have the first wheel for a collection of windup engines. :D A new addiction and one that plays well with your present addiction for prewar locos.

BB

1 - 20 of 220 Posts