Model Train Forum banner

201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
A Revealing Outfit (for mature audiences, only) ...

You guys know that I've spent a lot of time down at the local loco strip club. Seedy patrons, and lots of dollar bills slipping away. Well, in the wee hours of the night, I decided to take one of the "entertainers" home with me in her oh-so-revealing outfit. Ohh la la ...

TJ

Attachments

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Ha ha! Thanks, John. Not quite fully nude. Rustoleum gloss clear enamel on the steel tinplate shell, and airplane dope on the copper and brass trim parts. Hopefully, rust and tarnish will be kept at bay for a long, long time!

TJ

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Bring Your Dollar Bills ...

My latest 1681 loco is going "au natural" ... I think I need to build a dance pole, though!

She's sportin' a rebuilt Lionel Jr style motor with e-unit, though this one is from a later-generation 1688, I think. Baldwin style drive wheels.

Enjoy. The CLUB is open 24/7 ... bring your dollar bills!

TJ

Attachments

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Thanks, John. Much appreciated. But remember ... there's a fine line between fun and insanity!

Last year, I told myself that this clearcoat loco would be my last 1681 restoration. However, the demons continue to haunt me, and I have since picked up another couple of mangy-looking 1681 shells, along with a near-clone 1661. I have one motor all cleaned up / rewired to pop into one shell, and need to track down another Jr motor for the other. I've run out of wheels, though, and repro sets are around $40 a pop. I keep ebay-hunting for junk lots where I can piece together enough scrap bits.

Like I said ... fun ... or madness ... ?!?!!!

TJ

·
Registered
59 Posts
TJ-After all the work you went through to make a stud for the gear, I stumbled onto the replacement on Olsen's website, AM-70-S. The gear is AM-70. I just finished a 1681 with a broken gear as you did by grinding off the stud head. Worked out so well I picked up another one with a missing gear.

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
3W,

Thanks. Yeah, the gear can "float" without the stud head, instead held in place OK just by the wheels.

Are you restoring a 1681? Do tell!!!

I ebay bid on an Ives 1661 (precursor) the other day, but lost out. That wasn't you who nabbed it, was it?!? ;)

TJ

·
Registered
59 Posts
I saw it but did not bid. Just started on the 3rd 1681. All 3 are 1934 red & black. The last one just came from e-bay, a real rust bucket. I already have it in 30 pieces to strip and repaint. The motor was froze but the wheels turned since the gear was missing. Surprisingly got the wheels off without them crumbling. The communtator was black. Cleaned it and the brushes, gave it a little oil and had the motor running so I consider it a good buy.

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
3W,

Create a thread and post some pics!!! I'd love to shoulder-snoop!

I'm wondering if you've encountered my 1681 nemisis: removing the "sandpipe" wire from the boiler shell, prior to shell strip / repaint. As much as I try to be careful, the ends of the wire, where its bent around the underside of the boiler shell, are very brittle with age, and any attempt to unbend them for removal risks a metal fracture through the wire at that knuckle. I've tried patience, heat, etc. ... but no sure-fire method on my end, as of yet.

You???

(I've resorted to making my own new ones via carefully bent -- and more pliable -- copper.)

TJ

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been lucky enough to get them out without breaking. I can ease 1 end out enough to get it past the bottom of the boiler and it rocks enough to get the other side out. I have snapped some on a 259 I did.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No time. Been so busy that it has been a week since I even looked at it. I did get the gear & a new pilot truck ordered from Train Tender. Probably wont work on it until spring when I can give it an Easy Off bath and run it through the glass beader in the shed.

201 - 220 of 220 Posts