Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was looking through my Postwar stuff I came across the Lionel 6517 bay window caboose from the mid 50's. A lot of memories with this caboose. I bought this guy new back in the fifties probably during the Holiday season since that was the only time you could purchase Lionel trains in my home town. I remember this one specifically because it was so expensive, somewhere around $7.00. It took 3 lawns to cover the price, I was getting $3.00 per lawn as a 10 year old back around 1957. Those were carefree days for a youngster.

Bill

P5050003.JPG

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
No wonder you have so many trains. You have been collecting for over 60 years. I’ve only ever had one bay window caboose; a DM&IR that I purchased in the early 80s and recently sold.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That is pretty amazing that you still have all of your trains from years ago. (y)
I still have my trains from the 60's. Lionel 4-6-4 Hudson with whistling tender, all the rolling stock and a caboose. Engine is on a display shelf, but the rolling stock are in action.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have no trains from my youth as I sold my Lionel when I was 12 to get into HO. I do have a PWC Erie bay window now along with a fair amount of Post War and modern post war reproductions.

Pete

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received my first train set in 1951, a Marx wind-up set. I remember the sparks that would shoot out of the smoke stack. Its long gone, Mom probably through it out. For Christmas 1952 I received my first Lionel set, a 2026 steam set. Still have that set.

Bill

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I picked up a Postwar bay window caboose a few years ago. It's definitely a favorite of mine when I do run it though. It often ends up at the end of the trains pulled by my 736 Berkshire. A local hobby shop owner donated a Williams locomotive to my public Christmas display shortly before he retired from the business, so when I went to pick that up I also purchased the caboose and a Postwar 1615 switcher to thank him.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You have a nice looking Lionel 6517. I have one but the shell has a small "owie" on the shell. The running gear is near immaculate however. I have been sorta casually looking for a new or better shell to replace the original. No luck locating one locally.
LATER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts