Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today while working on various plans for my layout how cool that would be. My layout will be much too small for something like that, but I was thinking how having a transition era layout with a drive-in that was actually showing 50's sci-fi B movies. How cool is that?

Ah well, dream on CV, but wondering if anyone here put their dreams to the test. LOL.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's gonna be tough, finding a screen small enough for N gauge.
Hmmmm, should be able to make that. I would guess a typical Drive-In movie screen would be around 60' x 40' or so. That would scale out to around 5" x 3.5" or so. I figured the tough part would be a projector small enough to fit in the projector building and project an N Scale size picture. Maybe using a small tablet and build a frame around it.

Just my mind wandering all around on a snowy day. :D

·
Admin
43,470 Posts
We had a drive-in for some time on our modular layout. The screen was a little portable DVD player, the base was hidden under the surface, it just slid in. Pop the DVD of your choice in there and you have a operating movie theater. Before the DVD player, we had an old VCR with a little 8" LCD screen with composite video input for the source.

·
Registered
809 Posts
There are millions of small cameras that have different sized screens. I'm sure you could find the exact size on eBay.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
DANG IT!! Just when I start to think I have most of my scenery mapped out in my head, I have the miss fortune to run across this unfortunately fantastic idea!
This'll be Rollin round in my head like an uninvited BeeGees tune until the day my passing GoPro/CSX catches it playing on an intermodal night run.
Thanks for this, but NO MORE,... PLEEEEASE, no more..sigh

·
Registered
325 Posts
Drive in n scale

Check out the portable back up cameras for cars that mount on the windshield. I can't remember the name of mine off the top of my head but size wise it's about 2.5 by 4 or 5 maybe. May come in different sizes as well but paid 35$ on feebay.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If I did this I'd run a spur between the parked autos so a train crew could take in a movie sometimes. Oh! Wait! The speaker might not reach the cab window !......

·
Admin
43,470 Posts
If I did this I'd run a spur between the parked autos so a train crew could take in a movie sometimes (though the speaker might not reach the cab window) !! ...M
No problem, modern drive-in movies broadcast to your radio, they don't have speakers. ;)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
"Modern" drive-in Theaters? No more driving off with the speaker still on the window! Wonder how many drive-ins are left?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
There are a bunch of them still operating around SE-PA.
Wow! We have a total of 2 in the whole state! One is several hours north of me, and the other is on the other end of the state!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts