Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
we have a pair in our neighbor hood, been here for years. always fun watching them hunt and then chase away the babies when they are old enough. one year a baby did not want to leave so it cried for days, going from roof top to roof top. once it got hungry enough it left to find food.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
They harvest snakes and toads in my yard. I have yet to see them take anything else. The hawks seem a bit absent this year, than in years past...

Fox like chippies too....

Tom

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Around here (SW PA.) they eat anything small that moves along the ground. I have an abundance of squirrels, moles ands chipmunks for their pallet. They are on constant watch during the day from my rooftop, trees, and now my front porch. At night, the owls take over the watch.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Amazing creatures, hawks are. Mice, squirrels, snakes, etc. have never been an issue here, we have hawks and eagles of plenty to take care of them.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Can I borrow it? :)
Those Chipmunks are fast, mine are digging holes everywhere !
Been thinking about the bucket trap.
Fill a 5 gal pail with a gallon of water.
Make a plank running up to the top. Take peanut butter and dab spots to the top of the plank, insert a sunflower seed in each spot. Dump some seeds into the water.
As they walk up the plank eating, then see the seeds in the water and jump in the bucket then can't get out.
End of that Chipmunk.
A more elaborate way is to add to the top of the plank a walkway over the bucket on a hinge. They see the seed on the walkway and walk on the walkway and it collapses sending them down to the deep six. Being on a hinge it returns back up for the next one.
Works on mice and rats too. Don't know about the moles. Squirrels might be able to get out of the bucket?
A 55 gal drum should work on them. 😃

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am using a small Hav-a-hart trap. It cost $20.00 at home Depot. I caught 16 chipmunks in the yard last year. so far 25 this year.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are probably catching the same ones, over and over.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Against the law to trap rodents and transport them somewhere else.
I have squirrels around here. They chew on the wood deck. I trap em and dunk em till they stop kicking then toss em out on the back yard for the Red Tails to pick up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts