Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

Railroad Tycoon
Good luck with that.LOL We tried that only we took them across town 4 or 5 miles and I "Painted" one (Food coloring) and in two days old blue was back in the yard.
4 or 5 miles out in the ocean should work. 馃榾

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
They have built-in GPS. I once bought a "squirrel-proof" bird feeder. I went out the next day to fill it, and, there were two squirrels, with mini tools and instructions to defeat the system.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Against the law to trap rodents and transport them somewhere else.
I have squirrels around here. They chew on the wood deck. I trap em and dunk em till they stop kicking then toss em out on the back yard for the Red Tails to pick up.
Do you just leave them in the grass, or do you offer them in some other way?

Registered
"Ethics is nothing other than Reverence for Life. Reverence for Life affords me my fundamental principle of morality, namely, that good consists in maintaining, assisting and enhancing life, and to destroy, to harm or to hinder life is evil."
鈥斺堿lbert Schweitzer

Registered
The truth is the truth whether it is convenient or not. In this case, there are some fairly important truths that you have to consider when trying to decide what to do.

First is the truth that being a nuisance is a far lesser evil than murder in cold-blood... the mouse has the moral higher ground over the mouse-trapper.

Second is the truth that you don't want to be murdered yourself; knowing this, how can you contemplate it for a fellow being?

All tremble at violence; life is dear to all.
Putting oneself in the place of another,
one should not kill nor cause another to kill.
-- The Buddha (Dhp. 130)
Third is the truth that killing makes you a killer; it changes the direction of your life in a significant way that will have potentially far-reaching consequences, far beyond feeling a little guilty for a little while. There are karmically significant mind-states involved in killing that may not be evident to you until you actually kill. Once you've begun to kill, you start to desensitize yourself to killing; it gets easier and easier, and your mind becomes further and further sullied.

Fourth is the truth that the reason you can't sleep has little to do with the mouse and much to do with your own state of mind. In fact, lack of sleep itself isn't really the problem either; if your mind is clear, you can stay awake all night and not suffer harmful consequences.

My advice is first, to come to terms with your mind's reaction to noise that keeps you from finding peace; reminding yourself "hearing, hearing" is a good way to keep yourself objective and alert.

鈥淚n that case, B膩hiya, you should train yourself thus: In what is seen there will be only what is seen, in what is heard there will be only what is heard, in what is sensed there will be only what is sensed, in what is cognized there will be only what is cognized. In this way, B膩hiya, you should train yourself.
And since for you, B膩hiya, in what is seen there will be only what is seen, in what is heard there will be only what is heard, in what is sensed there will be only what is sensed, in what is cognized there will be only what is cognized, therefore, B膩hiya, you will not come to be because that; and since, B膩hiya, you will not come to be because that, therefore, B膩hiya, you will not be in regards to that; and since, B膩hiya, you will not be in regards to that, therefore, B膩hiya, you will not be here or hereafter or in between the two - just this is the end of suffering.鈥
-- The Buddha (Ud. 10)
Second, consider whether it is your duty as a householder to take care of the mouse, or whether you can just as well leave it be. Unless it is destroying insulation or wiring, I don't think there is a compelling reason to remove a mouse; a rat, maybe... Either way, there are many ways of relocating a mouse humanly.

In regards to cats, if you in any way encourage a cat to catch and kill a mouse, well, it's not categorically different from killing it yourself...
However, at this time I personally am still willing to send rodent pests to the beyond. I am somewhat concerned that I may never achieve enlightenment.

Registered
While squirrels are rodents they are not inclined to enter your house and eat your cheese. Quite the opposite. In my 82 years I have never had a problem with squirrels that I couldn't solve without killing them. Mice yes, they enter your house, spread disease and leave their dropping's. There is a balance of nature. Nature takes care of it's own. When humans interfere they generally screw things up.

Years ago, my older brother held a kitten in his left hand and with his right pulled the trigger on a 9mm Walther P-38 and blew the kittens head off. I lost all respect for my brother that day. Maybe he upset the balance of nature, maybe not. Probably saved a few song birds at the expense of letting mice do their dirty work. I see little difference between killing a kitten and the gratuitous destruction of a squirrel. Goes for any non-game animal. Key word is gratuitous.

I often think of my brother while at age 87 laying in a nursing home with Parkinson's ravaging his body and life leaving him with every exhale if he ponders that moment as one of his life's greatest achievements. There is an accounting for all of us.

For me living in the wilds of West Virginia wild life is entertainment and squirrels not the least of it.

Registered
Very cool, and should be very effective. a majestic bird, for sure.

Our back yard is surprisingly free of squirrels now, since a Millers hawk has taken possession of our backyard. She lives way up in a monstrous tree in the backyard and seems to consider the entire lot her domain. Not about to argue with her. Just hope she leaves the rabbits who live under our deck alone. Since I gave up on our garden I sort of like them . . .

Railroad Tycoon
While squirrels are rodents they are not inclined to enter your house and eat your cheese. Quite the opposite. In my 82 years I have never had a problem with squirrels that I couldn't solve without killing them.

View attachment 544277 View attachment 544278
I lived in the upper story of a 2 story house, the squirrels chewed a hole in the corner of the roof under the eave and were living in the attic space. The landlord had a hell of a time getting them out as the attic was only a crawl space and the only access was through a 4'x4' panel in the hallway. I was in the process of buying my own house, I don't know if he ever got them out.
I personally know of 3 houses that the squirrels got in and made a home and burned the house down from chewing on electric lines. And 1 garage burned because of the same thing.
When I bought this house there was a galvanized pole in the backyard I think the used for a clothes line. I planted a bird feeder on the top just like you did. The squirrels would just climb up it and eat everything till it was gone. I tried different things like you did but nothing stopped them from getting to the feeder.
Then while cooking while using Crisco shortening I got an ideal.
I greased the whole pole with a can of shortening. That worked.
It was comical watching them try to climb the pole but just slide back down to the ground.
One would back up and take a running start and leap high up on the pole but just slide down the pole ha ha ha.
One went up in the tree and jumped down to the pole, smart little bugger landed on the feeder. But then lost it's footing and just slid down the pole. After a few days of trying to get to the feeder they gave up.
I wish I had that on video. :giggle:

Admin
While squirrels are rodents they are not inclined to enter your house and eat your cheese. Quite the opposite. In my 82 years I have never had a problem with squirrels that I couldn't solve without killing them. Mice yes, they enter your house, spread disease and leave their dropping's. There is a balance of nature. Nature takes care of it's own. When humans interfere they generally screw things up.
Spoken like a man that hasn't had squirrels get into the attic and do thousands of dollars in damage.
For me living in the wilds of West Virginia wild life is entertainment and squirrels not the least of it
As is your right, but that doesn't mean that squirrels aren't destructive pests.

Registered
Not inclined doesn't mean never.

From my personal experience and all the people I have ever known not one has had a house burned down or experienced trouble with squirrels.

Bear, another matter. An upside down bucket may defeat squirrels but it doesn't deter bears.

Railroad Tycoon
What the..........HA HA HA ............ that bear must have jumped off a circus train.

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
Well, he'll certainly deter the squirrels.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts