Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
A lot of fun to be had here!! Good for you!!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
That's what I was thinking.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I'd say that one isn't quite finished! :D
Come on it's almost there!!! My brother was big into those little model fighting chess like things and ended up doing something to the other half I'll have to take pictures it looks like a 14 year old did it which was about how old he was when he did whatever he did to it!!!!

A lot of fun to be had here!! Good for you!!
Can't wait!!!

Might could use a tweak here and there.

(and I thought my truck was dirty):rolleyes:
I can't take credit it's my dad's truck :unsure:

Granite Gorge?
That's what I was thinking.
Are you talking about what the layout is? This is from 20+ years ago and we couldn't find the original plans we tried modeling it after no matter how hard we looked...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think its atlas plan 28 granite gorge and northern. Unfortunately you have to pay for atlas 7 plans book in order to look

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think its atlas plan 28 granite gorge and northern. Unfortunately you have to pay for atlas 7 plans book in order to look
Thanks for the info. I was planning on redoing it all over again anyways but also wanted to see the plans to try and adjust to my PRR plans as easily as possible.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a shot of what my brother did to the other half of the layout :rolleyes:
20210116_093541.jpg

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And today instead of clean up that or make some trips to a local train store while its raining and wife is at her part time weekend job guess what I decided to do instead?

20210116_094806.jpg

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My co-engineers aren't much help either...

20210116_095921.jpg

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After doing a ton of research I've decided I wanted to scrap the 4x8'ish plans and try and do a longer L shaped layout. A friend of mine has a nice B&M layout in his basement and I feel the long narrow plan with a few switch and coal yards in the middle would be better with large loops at the ends. I haven't run these new plans by the wife but she did approve of the modified 4x8 plan that was marked out with the painters tape... Plan was to cover up the cat boxes and the two bins that hold the dog food...

20210129_092926.jpg

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As you can tell we have a few bins crammed into shelving units that were already in the basement when we bought the house so we just threw the bins in there... I would plan on putting all the bins under the layout and I can fit 2 bins easily under the 42" height...

20210129_092943_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan to try and do a PRR themed layout with 3 main lines with the center one being a reverse loop so I could run 2 trains on the main lines constantly... I did a quick plan on SCARM with quick measurements from the area...

I plan to add a switch yard and maybe even a coal yard and wasn't sure if it would look better in the front or if I put the mainlines towards the front and have the yards in the back?

prr layout.png

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everything about has a minimum 22" radius and I would make the bump outs more rounded it was just easier to do the outline like that. Layout would be 42" high which would fit in right under the stairs... My only issue is I only have 40-42" on the top right of the diagram due to the chimney vent stack and the hot water heater. So I could either shorten the turns for the loops (will be out of view really anyways and thought about putting a mountain over that area anyways and reduce the curves to 18" radius of shorten that section from 10 feet to only 7 feet and bump it out to 48" to accomidate the 22" radius... Thoughts?

20210129_093045.jpg

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dogs again were zero help at all!!!
20210129_085130.jpg
20210129_091448.jpg

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
In the first pic... usually when you see 2x4s stacked like that they're load bearing, but I can't really tell and they seem to be at an odd angle.

Second pic, behind the shelving unit in the foreground... on the layout diagram it looks like you're planning on going extending back in that alcove, but I see plumbing back there.

Dogs are doing their job. :)

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the first pic... usually when you see 2x4s stacked like that they're load bearing, but I can't really tell and they seem to be at an odd angle.
Yeah that was from the previous owner they had a "closet" to hang stuff from there... It's just lightly screwed to the center beam of the house...

Second pic, behind the shelving unit in the foreground... on the layout diagram it looks like you're planning on going extending back in that alcove, but I see plumbing back there.
Yes that's the main sewer line. I have 10 feet from the corner to there but only 40-42" in width mainly due to the chimney stack. I can either make it a much tighter that I'd like to turn or only go out 7 feet and allow the 48" or more for a 22 inch curve... I'm torn...

Dogs are doing their job. :)
Yep they are super helpful!!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yes that's the main sewer line. I have 10 feet from the corner to there but only 40-42" in width mainly due to the chimney stack. I can either make it a much tighter that I'd like to turn or only go out 7 feet and allow the 48" or more for a 22 inch curve... I'm torn...
Move the WH back there? I see it's gas and I see copper plumbing, so it wouldn't be a no-brainer...

Just spitballing...

1 - 20 of 100 Posts