Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Move the WH back there? I see it's gas and I see copper plumbing, so it wouldn't be a no-brainer...

Just spitballing...
Mind blown... Didn't even think of that and I've hated it always being there... I did get a while house water softener installed a few months ago and if and hopefully when I get to finish that half of the basement I'd need to move it and my plumber said it would be easy to move so this hot water heater would be even easier...

Or I could be proactive and just get a new hot water tank before it goes seeing how its 10+ years old and it's been subject to horribly hard water lol...

I'll be texting my plumber friend tomorrow to inquire...

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I found out through researching today that the PRR mainline from Philly to Pittsburgh goes right through the town my parents lived in when I was first born before we moved to New England shortly after my 1st birthday! So guess what town will definitely be in the layout? That one!!! (Malvern/Chester)

·
Registered
204 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with a basement layout is future service of things like the water heater/ furnace. Part of my layout will have to be semi removable for the inevitable replacement of said items.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
One thing to keep in mind with a basement layout is future service of things like the water heater/ furnace. Part of my layout will have to be semi removable for the inevitable replacement of said items.
Yes I plan to make the section(s) near the lines semi-removable but they can also be accessed on the other side by moving some shelving as well...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Or I could be proactive and just get a new hot water tank before it goes seeing how its 10+ years old and it's been subject to horribly hard water lol...
At that age and what it's been subject to, it's due to be replaced... model RR or not. Replacing an aged WH is one of the first/best/easiest things you can do to improve the energy efficiency of a home, because it's one appliance that is "always on".

A "tall" style WH will have a smaller footprint and, from what I can see from the one pic, should fit back there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
At that age and what

A "tall" style WH will have a smaller footprint and, from what I can see from the one pic, should fit back there.
The thing with going from a short to tall water heater is you will have to redo the plumbing and might have issues with the exhaust vent. I went to a tall and was barely able to get enough angle on the exhaust vent to not have issues.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
At that age and what it's been subject to, it's due to be replaced... model RR or not. Replacing an aged WH is one of the first/best/easiest things you can do to improve the energy efficiency of a home, because it's one appliance that is "always on".

I already called the plumber and discussed options. I want to go with a stainless steal direct model which is 3 times the price of replacing the indirect one but has a lifetime warranty...

The thing with going from a short to tall water heater is you will have to redo the plumbing and might have issues with the exhaust vent. I went to a tall and was barely able to get enough angle on the exhaust vent to not have issues.
Moving it isn't the issue my plumber barely charges for simple pipe stuff and if he's putting in something large like that he always asks me if I want it moved since he's already hacking up the pipes!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would not suggest going to 18" radius if you can help it. For reasons of space, I built my layout with 20" radius, and I have had to be very careful about even the smallest imperfection in the track on those curves derailing my longer box cars and locomotives.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I replaced my water heater last month after 17+ years, it had a little rust on an intake pipe. They asked if I wanted stainless steel with a 10 year warranty or fiberglass with a lifetime warranty for almost double the price. I went with steel because at my age there is very little difference between 10 years and lifetime. ;)

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I would not suggest going to 18" radius if you can help it. For reasons of space, I built my layout with 20" radius, and I have had to be very careful about even the smallest imperfection in the track on those curves derailing my longer box cars and locomotives.
If the water heater gets moved I can easily do the 22 or more radius turn... How fast it gets replaced depends on how much the bathroom remodel ends up costing 🤪

I replaced my water heater last month after 17+ years, it had a little rust on an intake pipe. They asked if I wanted stainless steel with a 10 year warranty or fiberglass with a lifetime warranty for almost double the price. I went with steel because at my age there is very little difference between 10 years and lifetime. ;)
I almost want to push it but I convinced the wife the lifetime warranty one is worth it... We have a direct HW heater and we'd be switching to an in-direct HW heater which our plumber says saves money (boiler is more efficient than a HW heater) and it makes the boiler fire up at least once a day so it's not just sitting there all summer...

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So I had planned on painting the whole basement with a gray drylock paint this past week while we've had contractors over redoing our upstairs bathroom but they've used the basement to store their tools so that plan went out the door. I did flatten out one half of the two layouts my dad and I built when I was a kid and put a small oval layout to test out some of the way too many items I've already purchased and it's been fun just doing that! Brought back so many memories!

20210206_132156.jpg

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Even after I told myself numerous times I needed to stop buying stuff and wait to buy the layout I have been unsuccessful... I luckily added up all my purchases and had a slight bit of sticker shock so I think I'm really done for now... The 2nd to last purchase I made was for a brand new in the box PRR K4 4-6-2 Bachman Spectrum engine that I couldn't resist for the price! I set it up yesterday and ran it around and it was awesome!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
"Layout" hasn't changed much except it is a little more cluttered!!! Contractors are done with the bathroom remodel so all their tools are out of the basement so now it's time to start painting the basement with drylock!

Love my new BLI GG1 though!!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Tidy Cat creates a lot of dust soooo gotta move that away from the Layout if that's a problem! We had our original layout in our basement and ever so often there would be a CAT-tastrophe so we moved it out to the garage!! 🤣 🤣 How dry is your basement as well...like the plan utilizing space available!! What's in the Tank by the way??

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Tidy Cat creates a lot of dust soooo gotta move that away from the Layout if that's a problem! We had our original layout in our basement and ever so often there would be a CAT-tastrophe so we moved it out to the garage!! 🤣 🤣
The cat boxes will be underneath the layout so that should help some with the dust but even with the out in the open it doesn't get too dusty in the basement...

How dry is your basement as well...like the plan utilizing space available!!
It stays pretty dry never had water on the floor except for when my RO/DI system's tube falls onto the floor... When we first moved in it was slightly musty but ever since we purchased a dehumidifier it stays around 50-55% humidity...

What's in the Tank by the way??
The tank in the middle is a copepod culture, which are tiny tiny "bugs" that I grow for my saltwater tank for a specific fish... The tank to the right is sort of like an emulsion setup for culturing phytoplankton, which is the basic building blocks for everything in the ocean. I feel the phytoplankton to the copepods and also dose my reef tank everyday with some...

The fridge is for storing the phytoplankton and the wine cooler above the fridge is for storing worms I culture to feed the tank... Here's a recent photo of my reef tank which is my other hobby that sucks money from my wallet!

45a.jpg

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Good looking tank!

Plenty of coralline algae so I'd say your Ca is great. And I see an SPS, so you're a better reef-keeper than I was. (y)

What's your lighting setup?

The tank in the middle is a copepod culture, which are tiny tiny "bugs" that I grow for my saltwater tank for a specific fish
Mandarin?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Good looking tank!

Plenty of coralline algae so I'd say your Ca is great. And I see an SPS, so you're a better reef-keeper than I was. (y)

What's your lighting setup?
Yes I dose 2 part and just have a HOB refugium... Right around 400 calcium and 8 dkh for alk... Was doing natural sea water for changes but too cold to go on a boat 2 miles out to where I used to collect so it used to look even better in the summer...

Mandarin?
Yep... My tank is only 25'ish gallons and a 3'ish gallon HOB refugium and normal rationale is a mandarin should never be in such a small tank but I've had she/he since it was a tiny baby and it was captive bred and the thing is as fat an happy as can be due to all my hard work culturing live food...

@Stumpy if you or anyone else is bored and wants to read my build thread from when I downsized from a 55 gallon back in 2011 here's my build thread on my local reef forum - afboundguy's downsizing 25 gallon cube build | Boston Reefers Society

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
normal rationale is a mandarin should never be in such a small tank but I've had she/he since it was a tiny baby and it was captive bred and the thing is as fat an happy as can be due to all my hard work culturing live food...
That's f'n awesome! They are beautiful fish! We managed to keep one for two years. We got it before we knew it's dietary requirements. 😕 We really tried, but alas...

21 - 40 of 100 Posts