Model Train Forum banner
721 - 740 of 802 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #721 ·
On an even more positive note today I decided not to work overtime so I've been tackling the layout... The outside line of Horseshoe Curve has been giving me tons of trouble with the track I laid. It would pop off the lead wheal of the rear set of 6 on my GG1 and it was popping off albeit not as much as the GG1, the lead main driver wheel on my J1. I've repaired the track several times and adjusted the soldering with not much luck... Finally decided to incorporate an NMRA gauge into the track repairs. Got one of the two sections fixed a few days ago but this morning I installed a pretty much full 3' section of flex track starting at the top of the curve and using offset rails and I think I got it! Was running the GG1 and J1 for almost an hour trouble free!!!
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Rim
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Bumper
Train Transport hub Motor vehicle Track Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #723 ·
As far as the bad news goes my BLI P3 GG1 that I purchased in March 2021 that I barely ran for the first year as I didn't have a layout is out of warranty now and one of the gears is totally shot... I can hear grinding and it can't even pull 4 or 5 cars up the curve anymore and I can spin the driver wheels by hand... My BLI P3 P5a is also starting to make the same gear noise but luckily that is under warranty still. I emailed BLI tech and I'm hoping their customer service is as good as everybody says online and they'll work with me on the GG1 seeing how my P4 I1sa is already in for warranty repair (damn wiring from tender to cab broke off) and now 2 more BLI engines are down making 3 of the 4 new BLI engine purchases I've made... Fingers crossed they can help me out with the GG1 as I really like the engines but along with the praise of their companies support I've also heard the nightmare problems from their newer items and I'm starting to see that first hand now...

Anyways here's another video of the test running I did this morning...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
From the recent trend, I’m steering clear of BLI.
As to out of warranty repairs; I’d see if NWSL has a matching gear in brass. Slightly more difficult to break brass gears.

·
Registered
Ohio Central Systems
1,511 Posts
Yeah, BLI seems to have a business model that accepts poor QA from a Chinese Mfr, and compensates with a hefty repair facility in the States.

I deduced the above based on all the chatter on the interwebs about poor QA, and good my experience with results from their repair center, but the repair center has quite the backlog. It took them about 4-5 weeks to turnaround a repair of a brand new item that was DOA.

I only bought BLI because at the time, they were the only game in town for the locomotive I wanted. I also didn't care too much for their sound decoder... cumbersome to tweak volumes.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #726 ·
From the recent trend, I’m steering clear of BLI.
As to out of warranty repairs; I’d see if NWSL has a matching gear in brass. Slightly more difficult to break brass gears.
I'll have to look into that thanks!!! I would hazard the same assumption that a brass gear would be harder to break than what I'm sure is a plastic gear!!!

Yeah, BLI seems to have a business model that accepts poor QA from a Chinese Mfr, and compensates with a hefty repair facility in the States.

I deduced the above based on all the chatter on the interwebs about poor QA, and good my experience with results from their repair center, but the repair center has quite the backlog. It took them about 4-5 weeks to turnaround a repair of a brand new item that was DOA.

I only bought BLI because at the time, they were the only game in town for the locomotive I wanted. I also didn't care too much for their sound decoder... cumbersome to tweak volumes.
I've heard nightmares about the paragon 3 engines and the GG1 and P5a are both paragon 3... The paragon 4 one was just the wiring harness that snapped off. I asked for a replacement one as I figured it would be much faster to swap that out myself but once I swapped it out it still didn't work so I sent it back... They received my I1sa on 5/5 and they said 2-3 weeks and I just checked today and it says the same thing and it's been almost 6 weeks...

I did preorder the E6 they're coming out with as it looks really nice looking and when my BLI models run they do run well... I don't really want to dabble in brass just yet and that's all there really is out there for the PRR E6's at the moment... I was going to get a BLI F3/F7 but I think I might try another reputable manufacturer...

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #733 ·
Was able to finish up all the ties before heading off to work in a few minutes not counting the yard that's not finished think I may tackle that next before starting major work on Horseshoe Curve... Vacuumed the entire layout and floors and the top of the layout is pretty clean but the work bench is another issue 🤣
Selling Table Textile Public space Market

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #737 ·
Right now I have the wye turnout and then another turnout that leads into the yard. I think I will either remove the turnout after the wye so I can eliminate the double slip switch or move the diesel building a little left and maybe do a small stagging track. With the turnout gone I can just use a normal turnout instead of the double slip switch and I think it would look much better ..
Architecture Gesture Font Material property Tower block

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Looking at adjacent turnouts, the double slip isn’t needed. Looks cool & congested like a service facility would(?) but totally redundant. There is one viable reason to keep it as is though. A single sanding tower on one side dead center of the double slip, versus sandwiched between two narrow spaced tracks.

Unrelated question:
Are you going to weather & detail the TT pit before installing it?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #739 ·
Looking at adjacent turnouts, the double slip isn’t needed. Looks cool & congested like a service facility would(?) but totally redundant. There is one viable reason to keep it as is though. A single sanding tower on one side dead center of the double slip, versus sandwiched between two narrow spaced tracks.
I had thought of keeping it with another turnout either curved or normal to make it a track for a purpose. If I add a passing track I would move the diesel shed over and then the sanding tower for the tracks to the turntable and the diesel service facilities...

Unrelated question:
Are you going to weather & detail the TT pit before installing it?
Yes I will be doing it before :cool: Learned my lesson on the tower project lol... I plan to actually test it and see how it works on a DC pack to see if I can use that to turn it and then I'll swap out the track to NP track then start cutting the hole!

721 - 740 of 802 Posts