Model Train Forum banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Well it's been a little bit of time since I've been on super busy with work and wife finishing up the school year (she's a teacher). Moved everything around...

0615211121_HDR.jpg
0615211154_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Ended up getting a few pallets for free and tore them down for lumber...

0615211121.jpg

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Well wife's cartblanche did not include letting me finish the basement o_O so I sort of slacked it... Got tired of not having anything so I reset up the small oval to get my fix in...

0615211419_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
Decided to not work any overtime today on my actual day off and finally really got started on the benchwork. I am going to be doing an L girder set up... Put up some 2x4's to the ceiling and put the vertical boards on and painted them. I'm going to put masonite to the ceiling which will give it the semi appearance of a finished wall...

0708211223.jpg
0708211339.jpg

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Looking good.
Thanks... Hoping to work on it some more if wife heads out to help out her parents with various appointments since we're about to get hit with the brunt of TS Elsa...

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Threw up most of the L girder supports today... Hope to pick up plywood early next week...

0709211305.jpg
0709211305a.jpg
0709211305_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
4,824 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
@traction fan I finished up the L girders by placing a board on top of the vertical 2x4's. It's an L girder except where the horizontal supports are for the plywood are sticking out. I plan to do L girders on the outside edge once I figure out the shape of the plywood...
0712211401.jpg
0712211401a.jpg
0712211401b.jpg

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Borrowed a co-worker's truck today and made trip the Home Depot and picked up some plywood foam and Masonite :D

0712211038_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
@traction fan I finished up the L girders by placing a board on top of the vertical 2x4's. It's an L girder except where the horizontal supports are for the plywood are sticking out. I plan to do L girders on the outside edge once I figure out the shape of the plywood... View attachment 562805 View attachment 562806 View attachment 562807
Yup! Those are now L-girders alright. L-girders on steroids, 😄 but L-girders just the same. Your benchwork will be super strong, but also heavy and it looks like, immoveable. That's your choice, since its your railroad, but many times years of work, and large chunks of money, have been lost when a model railroader has to move, and his model railroad can't.

Good Luck & have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Yup! Those are now L-girders alright. L-girders on steroids, 😄 but L-girders just the same. Your benchwork will be super strong, but also heavy and it looks like, immoveable. That's your choice, since its your railroad, but many times years of work, and large chunks of money, have been lost when a model railroader has to move, and his model railroad can't.

Good Luck & have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂
They won't need to be moved except to upgrade as I wouldn't mind moving but wife is dead set against ever leaving our house and I'm more than happy in the house we're in (would rather have a garage but that's a loosing battle with the wife). I'm a first responder in the town I live in so I really don't have any need to move and since the wife doesn't want to move we're staying put probably forever so the immoveable aspect isn't too big of a concern!

Even if it needs to be moved it will be on plywood that will have the pink insulation foam on the top and I had planned on screwing the plywood to the 2x4s from the underside so removal would be easy if needed vs screwing the plywood from the top into the 2x4s and then gluing the insulation foam to it which would require major destruction to remove...

Our plumber (ex-neighbor and friend) had the same line of questioning when I asked him about replacing our hot water heater. He said since we plan on staying we should spend the money on a stainless steel hot water heater that is about 3 times the money as the typical Home Depot one but it will have a lifetime warranty vs the Home Depot cheaper ones that last 8-12 years... He said he'd be long dead before the stainless steel one would need to be replaced and said it would be worth it since we (wife) has no plans on moving...

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Did some scale drawings of what I have to work with with the hot water heater in it's current location... Bottom space is 5 feet wide so gives me plenty of options and I probably plan to have a turntable are there but not 100% sure. On the top right side where the hot water heater is once that's gone I'll extend it out and I also might do the turnaround wrapping around my chimney and maybe even do a helix for a second level down the road as I could easily fit a 20+ inch helix around it once the hot water heater is relocated...

0715211004.jpg
0715211008.jpg

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Even if it needs to be moved it will be on plywood that will have the pink insulation foam on the top and I had planned on screwing the plywood to the 2x4s from the underside so removal would be easy if needed
I did plywood deck with 2" pink foam board on top on the layout I started in 2018. I have concluded that you don't need the plywood deck, so the next layout won't have one. If I need to screw something to the bottom such as a turnout motor I'll glue a piece of 1/4" plywood or some other scrap to the bottom where needed. And stick-on wire keepers.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Maybe for a little extra drama, cut in a single spur that goes up and over somewhere to a mine or logging camp up in them thar eastern hills...No loop. Just go up one direction and s l o w back it down to the yard/interchange...

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I did plywood deck with 2" pink foam board on top on the layout I started in 2018. I have concluded that you don't need the plywood deck, so the next layout won't have one. If I need to screw something to the bottom such as a turnout motor I'll glue a piece of 1/4" plywood or some other scrap to the bottom where needed. And stick-on wire keepers.
I had thought of that and it's not off the table yet as there are many pros in my mind to not having plywood. I did see that option for securing items to the underside. It would save me $40-$45 for the plywood I'd just have to reborrow my buddy's truck to return it.

Maybe for a little extra drama, cut in a single spur that goes up and over somewhere to a mine or logging camp up in them thar eastern hills...No loop. Just go up one direction and s l o w back it down to the yard/interchange...
Oh I haven't even decided where to put the 1-3 yards I want to put in the layout. I have a ton of old brass track that I plan to use to lay it out and try and get a design I like before finally installing the NP track...

I also have a few ideas for single spurs going off as there are a ton of old branch lines off the PRR mainline that I want to emulate...

101 - 120 of 133 Posts