Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting another 253 restore. Pretty sad unit. I got the engine rewired, cleaned the armature and lubed. It runs great forward and reverse. Started cleaning the brass.
IMG_3016 (2).jpg
IMG_3020 (2).jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it will. I rewired and finished going through the engine today. The frame is painted and the body is in primer.

John

·
16,666 Posts
How did you polish the brass without rubbing off the letters? Are they indented / etched in?

Are you planning to clear-coat the brass?

Nice project!

TJ

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you polish the brass without rubbing off the letters? Are they indented / etched in?

Are you planning to clear-coat the brass?

Nice project!

TJ
I used Bartenders friend with a q-tip (cotton swab)
Yes they are indented. I actually touched up one of the side panels and will clear coat. Still thinking about the Gerard green and cream inserts. I did one set for display in the house and now want one to run on the layout.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I use this HF kit to polish nickel and brass parts. I had an old skill drill that didn't have gear reduction so it runs pretty fast. I strapped it to a small bench and zip tied the trigger so it runs continuously when plugged it.. Works great. The included compound really starts to polish the brass.. But use it sparingly on nickel parts as they're only plated (e.g., Lionel prewar journals).

The polished part is a brass door from a Lionel 248 Box-cab electric (circa 1930).

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The swan has grown up!

Remember the ending to the fairy tale. The ugly duckling was teased and cast out throughout his childhood. After he grew up and became the most beautiful swan, he vowed never to look down upon the less fortunate.

So be kind when we post our restorations :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did not turn out as good as I wanted it, has some flaws in the paint. I thought it was the tack rag, but had the same issues with the cars that I am working on, oh well, I will figure it out. Just making a runner this time. I will be working on the cars this week.

John

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Did not turn out as good as I wanted it, has some flaws in the paint. I thought it was the tack rag, but had the same issues with the cars that I am working on, oh well, I will figure it out. Just making a runner this time. I will be working on the cars this week.

John
It's always like that. My motto, strive for perfection and be happy with excellence. You'll live longer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts