Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lionel quality control has reared its ugly head again. This time with the Polar Express RPO car. This is like sitting in front of the TV and watching your favorite team blow a huge lead in the final minutes of a ball game!
On top is the PE scale passenger coach from the set.
On the bottom is the new PE RPO car.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
yep, that is a nasty one. Lionel been doing the PE for years, hard to imagine that they could screw up that color.

Bill

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
They should Have gone to to HD or Lowes for a better match.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'll keep the RPO and weather it if the add on passenger coaches match the previous run coaches. If not the whole kit and kaboodle gets returned to the dealer. This is just really unbelievable.

I really don't have much hope though unless the passenger cars are being sourced from a different supplier. What worries me now is the Polar BiPolar and the N&W Js that are coming. Both of these engines have had cars released ahead of them with incorrect colors. I can't imagine these could be correct but I really hope I'm wrong or all of my pre-orders are being returned.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Yep, it will be a roll of the dice in which shade of blue did Lionel use on the locmotives. I guess the PE collectors could create 2 different trains and keep the colors segregated per consist.

Bill

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Isn't this just the knock on effect of contract work? There's a few prototypes, approval -- an order for 1000 or whatever. The builder runs out of paint X and substitutes X' -- they all get shipped. You take delivery of crates of the stuff, what are you going to do? Stick it in the distribution channels and move on probably...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
WOW, that's not even close! I wonder how they screwed that up so badly?
Unfortunately, that is the only thing Lionel seems to excel at today. It's simply comical at this point. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mine is going back to the commies for a repaint.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I suspect that once the container crate hits the doors so to speak, there's no good way to return defective or sub-standard product back to china. So you get it. which is another 'beauty' of the pre-order system.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

I really don't have much hope though unless the passenger cars are being sourced from a different supplier. What worries me now is the Polar BiPolar and the N&W Js that are coming. Both of these engines have had cars released ahead of them with incorrect colors. I can't imagine these could be correct but I really hope I'm wrong or all of my pre-orders are being returned.
This is really where the big disconnect occurs between reality and the daydreams and excitement Lionel conjures up with their catalogs. I heard dealers are waiting with bated breath on the J’s, because they’re now worried the “dark red” stripe might be too pink. That would be unacceptable, as would be possible incorrect colors on the PE BiPolar. Just don’t know what to say anymore. Lionel seems to have lost all control of the production processes. The best recourse seems to be returning products that are unacceptable. That sends the strongest message.

David

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is really where the big disconnect occurs between reality and the daydreams and excitement Lionel conjures up with their catalogs. I heard dealers are waiting with bated breath on the J’s, because they’re now worried the “dark red” stripe might be too pink. That would be unacceptable, as would be possible incorrect colors on the PE BiPolar. Just don’t know what to say anymore. Lionel seems to have lost all control of the production processes. The best recourse seems to be returning products that are unacceptable. That sends the strongest message.

David
David

You are correct. I am going to wait and see but I will refuse all the items I have on preorder if I have to. I can't imagine anyone signed off on these colors and would think the issue went wrong once that was done and in manufacturing.

The problem that bothers me more is, when this stuff arrives in NC doesn't anyone open the box and say "Oh boy this is wrong, send them back and make it right".

I'm an optimist and will wait for the additional coaches, the BiPolar, and the J which I have all on order. Once I see them and they are either correct or wrong I will make the call.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
David

You are correct. I am going to wait and see but I will refuse all the items I have on preorder if I have to. I can't imagine anyone signed off on these colors and would think the issue went wrong once that was done and in manufacturing.

The problem that bothers me more is, when this stuff arrives in NC doesn't anyone open the box and say "Oh boy this is wrong, send them back and make it right".

I'm an optimist and will wait for the additional coaches, the BiPolar, and the J which I have all on order. Once I see them and they are either correct or wrong I will make the call.
Pretty sure you can't send product back to China. The product was paid for before being loaded on the container ship. When I was in the shipping business for a major retailer we had inspection facilities set-up in China to catch any product not up to our QC. That way the product could be rejected and returned to the manufacture.

Bill

One of our inspection centers in the Golden Triangle in China.

DSCF0802.JPG

DSCF0808.JPG

DSCF0798.JPG

·
Admin
43,486 Posts
One reason no more pre-orders for me, I'm going to see the product before I buy it. There's nothing they're making that I absolutely "have" to have, so if I miss it when it hits the dealer's shelves, I'll live without it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts