Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can hear it already. "Here's another old guy that wants to run his antiques!"
My first train set was a Marx set, a Christmas gift in 1961, followed by another in '62. I still have them. My friends and I were railfans and model railroaders, but drifted away from it over the years, but I've still loved the railroads, big and small. I always figured that I'd get back into model railroading if I was not able to enjoy the outdoor stuff I've enjoyed for many years. Now I'm retired and I'm ready to slow down a bit. I've been buying whatever HO stuff I find at garage sales and auctions, and recently picked up a Rivarossi Union Pacific FEF3 and an Athearn Union Pacific F7A&B.
I plan to model the agricultural area and the small town I grew up in, in the summer of1955.The Denver Pacific runs right through the middle of it, from Denver to Cheyenne. On the other side of the room but connected, will be a mountainous area patterned after the Colorado high country. My railroad's name will be the Glenwood, Denver and Cheyenne. I'm not, at this point, interested in "operating". The construction and modeling are my primary goals, and just seeing the trains run through the scenery.
I know a lot of my equipment is going to need some work. Most of my rolling stock will probably need new couplers, a lot of it will probably need new wheels, and some will need new trucks. I've got a lot to learn, and a lot to acquire in the way of equipment and tools, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, and I'll be looking to the members here for advice. Thanks in advance.
Bruce, aka "GD&C"

·
Registered
852 Posts
My first train set was a Marx set, a Christmas gift in 1961, followed by another in '62. I still have them. My friends and I were railfans and model railroaders, but drifted away from it over the years, but I've still loved the railroads, big and small. I always figured that I'd get back into model railroading if I was not able to enjoy the outdoor stuff I've enjoyed for many years. Now I'm retired and I'm ready to slow down a bit. I've been buying whatever HO stuff I find at garage sales and auctions, and recently picked up a Rivarossi Union Pacific FEF3 and an Athearn Union Pacific F7A&B.
I plan to model the agricultural area and the small town I grew up in, in the summer of1955.The Denver Pacific runs right through the middle of it, from Denver to Cheyenne. On the other side of the room but connected, will be a mountainous area patterned after the Colorado high country. My railroad's name will be the Glenwood, Denver and Cheyenne. I'm not, at this point, interested in "operating". The construction and modeling are my primary goals, and just seeing the trains run through the scenery.
I know a lot of my equipment is going to need some work. Most of my rolling stock will probably need new couplers, a lot of it will probably need new wheels, and some will need new trucks. I've got a lot to learn, and a lot to acquire in the way of equipment and tools, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, and I'll be looking to the members here for advice. Thanks in advance.
Bruce, aka "GD&C"
Welcome to the forum. No worries, there’s a lot of old guys running antiques on here. I’m one of them. I do own modern models but some of my favorites are Penn Line locos and rolling stock made in the 50s and 60s.
There are many good model railroaders on here who are happy to help. If you want to see what has been previously discussed on a topic you can do a forum search, but be mindful of the posting dates on those threads. Some of those members may not be on here anymore so you probably won’t receive a reply from the OP if you post on them. Same thing with the ‘Suggested Reading’ list at the end of threads.
Have fun and happy modeling.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Nothing wrong with a railfanning layout. I too am not interested in 'operating' as in shunting wagens and making up trains. I want to watch trains rolling through towns and villages with nice scenery.

Welcome aboard.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
Welcome "old guy".
We are all young at heart. :)

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Old guys...most of 'em are kids...I'm 92...and still loving
trains. Welcome to the Forum. You might wander
by the HO forum and check out some of the most
experienced and knowledgeable train men you ever met.

Don

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bruce, aka "GD&C"
Shelf Furniture Shelving Rectangle Wood

welcome, hey I don’t see to much modern stuff here.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
with 2-3 exceptions everything here is at least 25 years old. The two light Marklin is 70 years old, the second train in is made up of 50-60 year old kits.

Then there's the layout built for Christmas all year round...that tweaks a few brains, but it's all good. Welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I hope those streetcar folk are strapped in and have their seats in an upright and locked position with tray tables stowed and locked or things could get ugly fast.

• Haha
Reactions: shaygetz
1 - 9 of 9 Posts