Model Train Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,562 Posts
Needs an old rusty No Trespassing sign. Or, Do Not Enter. (y)

Reactions: LateStarter

·
Premium Member
10,611 Posts
All that a Do Not Enter sign would do would be to invite people to enter….especially when there is a missing piece of fence screening there…..

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was told in college that fences and locks were just symbols anyway. In this case it's probably so the RR can tell the injured litigants' lawyers that they knew they were trespassing.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The main reason they do that at least at an old mine site is a lot of people don’t know how to safely read rock structures and most anyone that would be going in one is not properly msha trained and usually wearing crocs or something without proper steel toes or a helmet or any of that stuff. The best policy is stay out stay alive. I’ve been underground and there can be some pretty serious situations underground

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,562 Posts
All that a Do Not Enter sign would do would be to invite people to enter….especially when there is a missing piece of fence screening there…..
You don't need any signs for that, if someone is going to trespass they will trespass anyway. A fence won't stop them, you know they sell some big cutters, they would just snip the fence away.

An old, weathered, falling down no trespassing and or a do not enter sign would look great.
In some places signage would have been required just for the legality standard.
Down here, if you have property that you don't want hunted you have to post signs every so many feet on your trees.
Pennsylvania does that too, I don't know about other states or up where your at.

Of course there will be some who trespass and enter no matter what you do, but if your in compliance with the law they won't be able to sue you.
Or are not supposed to be able to. :cool:

Reactions: LateStarter

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,562 Posts
That’s a picture of a real place judging by the picture. I think it would be cool to go out west to explore some old gold mines
I am with you.
I been watching this guy on you tube, he bought an old mining town way out in no where's land, overlooks Death valley.
If you can start at the beginning of his videos and he tells why.
He brings you in some of the mines, and is rebuilding the town.
He would like to eventually have his town set up so you can visit for a stay.
I find it all interesting, you may too?
Check him out if you want.
But check out his list of videos and start at the beginning, he tells you how and why.
He won't say how much he paid for it all, I think it is 400 acres total.
Map of the old mines have them all over, I think it is around 30 miles of old mines under the earth.

Edit, this may be his first video,,

·
Registered
805 Posts
I’ve watched a couple of his videos. I like to watch abandoned and forgotten places. They go explore old mines on that channel. I have a lot of interest in geology and even more in how hard those men worked in terrible conditions and dug that kind of a mine out of the ground. I wish people were willing to work hard these days

·
Premium Member
10,611 Posts
You don't need any signs for that, if someone is going to trespass they will trespass anyway. A fence won't stop them, you know they sell some big cutters, they would just snip the fence away.

An old, weathered, falling down no trespassing and or a do not enter sign would look great.
In some places signage would have been required just for the legality standard.
Down here, if you have property that you don't want hunted you have to post signs every so many feet on your trees.
Pennsylvania does that too, I don't know about other states or up where your at.

Of course there will be some who trespass and enter no matter what you do, but if your in compliance with the law they won't be able to sue you.
Or are not supposed to be able to. :cool:
True, a No Trespassing sign would look good, prototypical even…

And as we have seen, companies get sued for a ton of things that should really be common sense on the part of the plaintiff, but as we know, common sense is in very short supply these days…. ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
A swale is a (usually manmade) ditch meant to carry water for irrigation or drainage. The term is also loosely applied to marshy depressions.

Think of the ditches alongside a road to carry water that drains off the roadway to the nearest stream.

·
Registered
805 Posts
True, a No Trespassing sign would look good, prototypical even…

And as we have seen, companies get sued for a ton of things that should really be common sense on the part of the plaintiff, but as we know, common sense is in very short supply these days…. ;)
When you can smell the stupid in the air run away I hear it’s contagious

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am with you.
I been watching this guy on you tube, he bought an old mining town way out in no where's land, overlooks Death valley.
If you can start at the beginning of his videos and he tells why.
He brings you in some of the mines, and is rebuilding the town.
He would like to eventually have his town set up so you can visit for a stay.
I find it all interesting, you may too?
Check him out if you want.
But check out his list of videos and start at the beginning, he tells you how and why.
He won't say how much he paid for it all, I think it is 400 acres total.
Map of the old mines have them all over, I think it is around 30 miles of old mines under the earth.

Edit, this may be his first video,,

He's talking about Cerro Gordo which is just east of Keeler, which is on the east side of Owens Lake. Keeler was the terminus of the SPNG (ex-Carson & Colorado).

Cerro Gordo had a fire last year destroying several buildings: Fire in Cerro Gordo Ghost Town destroys several buildings - Sierra Wave: Eastern Sierra News

At one time the mill shipped silver bars in the 400 pound range to discourage theft.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,562 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts