Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered another mystery engine tender in my inhieritance package that I cannot identify. It is a 4-8-2 D&RGW. The whole thing is cast brass, and heavy. The motor has a horseshoe magnet and has lost strength to the point it will barely turn the motor over. I have a can motor conversion kit for a Bowser but this is no Bowser. HELP!
BH

IMG_1752 (164 x 49).jpg

IMG_1753 (160 x 58).jpg

IMG_1754 (146 x 81).jpg

IMG_1756 (160 x 66).jpg

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
It's difficult to tell from the tiny crappy pictures, but if you can remove the magnet from the motor you should be able to remagnitize it either with another larger more powerful magnet, or a direct current electromagnet. :):thumbsup:

Greg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crappy pix, etc.

It's difficult to tell from the tiny crappy pictures, but if you can remove the magnet from the motor you should be able to remagnitize it either with another larger more powerful magnet, or a direct current electromagnet. :):thumbsup:

Greg
Gee, are my pic realy that much worse than a lot of others I see? And if you think remagnitizing the Horseshoe wouild do it, I would remind you that self demagnitizing of old horseshoe magnets is why we don't see them much any more. This forum format doesn't do well with High megapixal pix, so I cominly reduce them to twenty five percent to reduce server memory space. Sorry they don't meet your standards.
BH

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Post them on Photobucket...then it won't matter what size they are...us cranky old folks just can't see those pictures of yours.:thumbsup:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,636 Posts
I use the medium setting on photobucket to please the cranks. I will occasionally go larger for special images. I understand your angle. Forum policy is around 600 pixels, that is a generous picture. Larger and you have members scrolling about. I post a lot, so I go smaller. You have a very interesting engine so splurge. I don't recognise the drive wheels.
Good Luck.
Another hint, is try not to take anything personal, it will just lead to a misunderstanding.

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
And if you think remagnitizing the Horseshoe wouild do it, I would remind you that self demagnitizing of old horseshoe magnets is why we don't see them much any more.
A magnet's lack of effectiveness is not because of it's horseshoe shape, but rather what it's made out of. If you know the location of the magnet's poles in relationship to the armature, you could substitute some cheap tiny, but really powerful, neodymium magnets. There's no way I can tell, but you could probably stick a couple right onto the sides of the old horseshoe to bump up the field.

Man, they would perk up your motor for sure! :):thumbsup:

Greg

·
16,666 Posts
BH,

Not sure what you're seeing on your screen, but on my screen, your pics are about 1/2" x 1-1/2" ... too tiny to deduce any details whatsoever. Not trying to bark at you or anything, but just passing on some (hopefully helpful) feedback. I strongly suspect that Greg was doing the same, purely in a tongue-in-cheek poking fun sort of a way. No malicious intentions, I'd bet.

I'll echo the comment that a magnet's "permanent polarity" is affected by the material (metal alloy) from which it's made, rather than its inherent shape.

I wouldn't know where to point you, but I would suspect (???) that some diligent 'net searching might find some replacement horseshoe perm magnets that could be a close fit to what you have. Large-end electronics suppliers and the like?

Good luck!

TJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts