Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to put all my coal hoppers (and nothing else) on the layout. There are 45 hoppers (17 Menards Reading, 14 Lionel LV 6456 type and 14 misc. others (MTH, RMT, K-Line, Menards)). They all have anthracite loads made with Brennan and/or Conway coal. I thought they would fill the yard, but they only fill about half of it. Also got out a few locos that haven’t been run for a while (Reading U30C, LV GP 38-2, D&H C628). The D&H caboose is too heavy. It wants to derail the RMT cars and stringline the Menards cars.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
That is very cool. 45 is a lot. They look good.

That is a nice trainyard, too.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
That makes for a great scene. Is that actual rock or are they just toppers? Must be really heavy if real.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

It’s small pieces of anthracite from Brennan or Conway. I started with the plastic load supplied with some cars and made a topper with rigid foam for others. Then I slathered the plastic or foam with flat black paint and covered that with the anthracite bits. I had to add weight to the Menards cars to get to NMRA recommended weight. I’ll have to look at doing that to the RMT cars as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts