Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Yes. Get it off of the floor and onto a purpose-built layout table and attach the track to the sub-roadbed.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yes. Get it off of the floor and onto a purpose-built layout table and attach the track to the sub-roadbed.
He's a kid. He's doing what he can do.
Looks like a fun layout! Enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
You can call it a "layout" if you want... it's your stuff. But a run of track on the floor in not a "layout"... it's just track on the floor.
Asking for suggestions about a "layout" is only legitimate if it's not on the floor.

Once you get it off the floor we'll all consider it a layout.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I think I'd make a tunnel ... It could be a box or a pile of blocks with something covering it. I also always think it's nice to be able to completely change directions.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Guys - Weather you want to admit it or not, what ATTDCC has is a layout.

Dictionary definition of a layout:

layout |ˈlāˌout|

noun

the way in which the parts of something are arranged or laid out: changing the layout of the ground floor.

• the way in which text or pictures are set out on a page: the layout is uncluttered and the illustrations are helpful.

• the process of setting out material on a page or in a work: doing layout for newspapers and magazines.

a thing arranged or set out in a particular way: a model railroad layout.

Diving & Gymnastics a position in which the body is extended, the head upright, the legs held straight and together, and the arms held out to the sides.

Please don't disrespect him just because he is a young kid.

·
Registered
690 Posts
But a run of track on the floor in not a "layout"...
Ya know, this is more or less a true statement, IMO. Discussions of operating procedures,
derailment prevention, coupler liability, etc., etc. don't have a lot of meaning there.
But his "carpet train operation" prolly don't come to the level of needing a new forum...
He will progress! His YT channel is interesting, too.
Or graduate to hot rods and girls... 🤣

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Elitism? No. Or at least not on my part. But if something is being set out and taken down all the time, or reconfigured and rearranged all the time with no permanence, then I really don't see much point in giving advice on how to make it run better, or on different arrangements, and so forth, because it all goes out the window each time it gets taken down.

And trains on the floor exposes them to dirt, hair, carpet fiber, stray feet, pets, and lots of other things that aren't good for them. Forgive us for caring.

It's his layout, and he can do what he wants with it, but he'll do it without my advice, unless I have some reasonable chance that I'm not wasting my time providing it. Our little Annie was a kid too, and look what she did (and, hopefully, will do again when she gets settled after her move).

·
Registered
208 Posts
😧Before this breaks into a war...I think that what Micheal and the others are saying, is that it should be elevated to avoid dirt, hair, and all that fun stuff getting jammed into his locos. They aren't telling him to tear it up, they aren't "disrespecting" him, he asked for their advice and they are just giving it. Anyway its simply a matter of throwing it down on something off of the ground, is that really anything worth arguing about? Either way, it works...just if its on a floor, carpet especially, the locos, rolling stock, and track will require much more frequent cleaning, and damage is more likely to occur.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Well it looks like you're making do with what you have.
Kudos for your efforts.
Perhaps some plastic sheeting on the floor before the track is placed would help with a hair & lint issue which is sure to crop up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reminds me of my first Lionel 027 train set. It had the large transformer and also a searchlight tower with a revolving beacon. This was in 1956 so not too long after the war. I took the set up into the small attic and it was on the wooden floor. Had a great time with it. No one nitpicking what I should have done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like he's invented a modular layout all by himself. Innovative lad! He just isn't (yet) able to operate at the altitude we're used to. Reminds me of lashing two side tables together in the attic so I could set up my loop of American Flyer track and run my train. He's shown the initiative to do this much; he'll do fine. Getting there is half the fun. Just wait til he discovers hollow core doors. Then comes cork roadbed and then terrain, buildings, and scenery, oh my! He seems to be digitally adept and well motivated; he'll learn fast, no preachy snobs needed.

1 - 17 of 16 Posts