Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any outdoor; 1", 1-1/2" or larger scale rail fans out there?

I have a very modest 1" scale, 4-3/4" gauge outdoor railroad, that runs on 300' of track. I've since added foot rests on the boxcar, for pilot and passenger comfort.

DSC02254.JPG

DSC02253.JPG

DSC02251.JPG

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well, I'm modeling in HO but a fan of all scales. Does that count? The boxcar looks real good. Job well done.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,725 Posts
Nice, the box car looks big compared to the little switcher. :D:thumbsup:

Whats a box car go for? $100/200 bucks?

Does the track rust?

Here in NJ that ballast would last about a week with all the down pours we have been getting. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Big Ed.

The Hustler engine is indeed smaller, but it's a great puller. The manufacturer does offer larger, GP7/9, GP20 and SW1 switcher engines that would look better.

The 1" scale hobby can get pricy and the larger, 1-1/2" scale (7-1/2" gauge) is quite expensive.

Normally, the track would rust, but the sections were powder coated.

The ballast did settle and larger red lava rock replaced it.

The summers here are generally rain-free, so the combo resides outside under its PVC-framed cover. When the wet weather arrives late October, the units are inside.
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=505220&stc=1&d=1565397687

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,725 Posts
In the first picture I thought that was your ballast. Looks like sand?
In the second picture I see you added stone.

Your RR is nice, the area looks so neat and tidy. :):thumbsup:

With the weather we have been getting, if I had that in my backyard my trains would look like they are running in a jungle.
With the grass growing so fast and the weeds growing faster.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Ed.

The original ballast did seem like sand and it quickly settled into the larger rock.

That's about the only area that is neat and tidy on my property.

We had a rare thunderstorm move through last night, so the weeds will be growing soon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a nice looking unit and 7 1/2" gauge is an impressive size. Looking forward to seeing your GP35 when it's completed.

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts