Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
A friend of mine owns the latest run of it, and it runs great. However, most have a bug with their sound rom which will reset the whistle/horn after a power cycle. Smoke will also emit out of the whistle when a horn is selected. These issues are fixed by Lionel, but you have to send it back for them to re-program the railsound board. Worth keeping in mind.

I don't own the legacy one, but I have the TMCC one, and it's a very nice model. It's lacking some detail from the prototype such as the smoke density light, but for what it is it's very accurate. If you really care about accuracy, you should track down a 2-rail Key Imports model.

I added a smoke density to my model with a spare bulb, still need to secure the wire. It's only running off 5V so it's very weak.

Train Engineering Gas Font Auto part

Smoke density light:
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
A friend of mine owns the latest run of it, and it runs great. However, most have a bug with their sound rom which will reset the whistle/horn after a power cycle. Smoke will also emit out of the whistle when a horn is selected. These issues are fixed by Lionel, but you have to send it back for them to re-program the railsound board. Worth keeping in mind.

I don't own the legacy one, but I have the TMCC one, and it's a very nice model. It's lacking some detail from the prototype such as the smoke density light, but for what it is it's very accurate. If you really care about accuracy, you should track down a 2-rail Key Imports model.

I added a smoke density to my model with a spare bulb, still need to secure the wire. It's only running off 5V so it's very weak.

View attachment 589900
Smoke density light:
View attachment 589899
Plz educate us "Kids" that run prewar "toys" ... What is a smoke density light?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's something that Southern Pacific used as a way for the fireman to see if the density of the smoke/fire temperature was correct at night time. If it was gray then the fire was good. However, it wasn't always effective because it was covered in soot. Most models of the Cab Forward don't have this detail on it, but those that know about it will know it's missing!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
It's something that Southern Pacific used as a way for the fireman to see if the density of the smoke/fire temperature was correct at night time. If it was gray then the fire was good. However, it wasn't always effective because it was covered in soot. Most models of the Cab Forward don't have this detail on it, but those that know about it will know it's missing!
Huh. Lionel prewar locomotives didn't have smoke units. Probably why I didn't know of it ;)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Interesting that the engine would have a stack lamp. The Frisco used them too, often seen on their small decapods.

Municipalities, especially in urban area, had smoke inspectors that would cite engines emitting excessive smoke and attempt to fine the railroads.

The light helped the Fireman gauge the fire quality in the firebox, as RS stated.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts