Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take the plunge and make some custom HO vehicles and would like some recommendations on what others may use for a magnifying stand with an area to hold HO scale sized trucks such as those by Walthers or River Point Station.

Thanks in advance.

RH001

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I got a freebee helping hands magnifier stand with alligator clips from Harbor Freight. Don’t know if it is what you are looking for to hold HO cars, but it works well to hold wires when soldering.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have one that's some alligator clips with a magnifier in the middle. It's on weighted pedestal. I associate it with electronics. In fact I think I bought it from digikey.

But I'm not satisfied with it. I would look around at options. Places like Adafruit sell several kinds of these things.

For ho I find the magnification to be too low.

In fact I don't have a great solution there either.

I bought some loupes but these are small .

Maybe some kind of visor for magnification side, and some kind of small vice to hold a piece....then some kind of positionable arm with grip to hold a part to attach.

Seems a little unwieldy though....

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Honestly? I've been using lighted magnifiers of various designs for painting miniature figures for about 45 years now. I long ago gave up on fixed stands or workbench mounted designs. Optivisor was my how-to option for a long time, but then I discovered these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T4KPYN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are extremely light and work very well. I figured at that price, if they break, I can get 5 pair for the cost of an Optivisor, but I have 2 pairs, the newest of which is 18 months old, and no problems yet.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in the ad copy that said they were compatible with eye glasses. Even when I use a magnifying glass, I still have to wear my reading glasses to see up close.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I bought a lighted magnifier from Harbor Freight. It works great! I use it all the time. I have a set of helping hands to hold things when needed.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
That would sure come in handing for installing MU hoses on locomotives and grab railings on passenger wagons.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My eyes aren't the same so I'd have to have an adjustable focus on one side or wear glasses also. I don't want the latter.

Also I'd like tools to hold items in place while I use my hands to apply some material or force.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank for the suggestions, I wear glasses and also thinked a fixed version would suit me best, mostly going to be used for decaling vehicles vs freight cars

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have one similar to this... Magnifying lamp with led light ... but it is from before LED lamps existed so the bulb is an incandescent "candle" bulb.

The dang thing always seems to get i the way, so I'm going to try the headgear that CTValley recommended.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in the ad copy that said they were compatible with eye glasses. Even when I use a magnifying glass, I still have to wear my reading glasses to see up close.
I normally wear reading glasses, but don't need to with those. They can be worn with eyeglasses, but it's uncomfortable.

Reactions: MichaelE

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I decided to take the plunge and make some custom HO vehicles and would like some recommendations on what others may use for a magnifying stand with an area to hold HO scale sized trucks such as those by Walthers or River Point Station.

Thanks in advance.

RH001
RH001;

Well you've gotten a different opinion with almost every response. Not surprising, since each person is different, and likes different things. I use, and like very much, an optivisor. Years ago I had a desk-mounted magnifier, quite a bit larger than the Harbor Freight model shown in an earlier response. It had a 3 inch dia. lens, two hinged arms, and springs to compensate for the weight. I found that the thing was always in the way when I tried to use it. It didn't stay in position (and therefore focus) very well. But worst of all I had to hold my breath while looking through it!
The second I breathed, the lens fogged up!
The optivisor is head mounted, not desk-mounted. It plays very nicely with my eyeglasses and flips up out of the way when I don't need magnification. It's lightweight, and comfortable. You can order an LED attachment from www.micromark.com but I've never needed the extra light, since my workbench is brightly lit. I've tried the add-on loupe attachment, and found it annoying rather than helpful. I have two different "plates" (lenses) for it, but always end up using the standard plate that came in the optivisor. The #10 plate I bought to try sits on a shelf unused. It magnified more, but you needed to have the work about 3" in front of your eyes to focus at the higher power. The basic optivisor, as it comes, without any "whistles or bells", is a great tool, and I highly recommend it.
By the way, I'm a 72 year old N-scaler. I've used my optivisor to assemble Z-scale couplers, and also to detail many of my scratch-built structures. The wooden truss bridge shown below is one of them. Click on the title print below the photo to enlarge it. Then click anywhere on the enlarged photo to enlarge it more. Note the truss rods, and nut-bolt-& washer castings. They are quite small. To understand how small, the length of the truck crossing the bridge is about one inch!

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts