Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a video I recently made with my custom locomotive. I was wondering if anyone here could give me a few ideas to improve the cab, as I have already done more work to the tender. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hard to help with a video of the loco. While the video is nice, you could post a still picture with your request.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As stated above, we can't get a good look at the loco. Nice video👍

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I agree with Dennis -- good, clear, well lighted, close-up details of the loco and cab (and tender) are critical if you want advice like that. Videos are fun, but they're the wrong approach if you want someone to study details.

I guess my next question would be, "how do you want to improve it?". It you're trying for realism, nothing beats a good reference photo (see below). I have two initial comments: the cab is way too short. It needs to be several scale feet longer, and the tender needs to be closer to the loco (use a drawbar instead of a coupler), and you need to eliminate the front platform: the poor lout of a fireman needs to be able to shovel coal from the tender into the firebox without dodging obstacles.

Still, nice try for a first attempt.

Here is a reference photo for you, a Porter 0-6-0T. I know there are a lot of guys in the way, and the angle isn't great, but this one we cosmetically restored (in our "initial Unveiling" photo, with most of the volunteers who did the work).
View attachment 543494

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with Dennis -- good, clear, well lighted, close-up details of the loco and cab (and tender) are critical if you want advice like that. Videos are fun, but they're the wrong approach if you want someone to study details.

I guess my next question would be, "how do you want to improve it?". It you're trying for realism, nothing beats a good reference photo (see below). I have two initial comments: the cab is way too short. It needs to be several scale feet longer, and the tender needs to be closer to the loco (use a drawbar instead of a coupler), and you need to eliminate the front platform: the poor lout of a fireman needs to be able to shovel coal from the tender into the firebox without dodging obstacles.

Still, nice try for a first attempt.

Here is a reference photo for you, a Porter 0-6-0T. I know there are a lot of guys in the way, and the angle isn't great, but this one we cosmetically restored (in our "initial Unveiling" photo, with most of the volunteers who did the work).
View attachment 543494
Your photo is not showing up.I get
Oops! We ran into some problems.

The requested page could not be found.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Huh. It was there when I posted it. Embedded photo. Now, of course, I have run into the dreaded "you may not edit more than 10 posts in 7 Days" bug, even though I haven't...

Let's try again:

75-friends-of-the-valley-railroad-volunteers-on-2.jpg

Reactions: The USRA Guy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts