Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Had trains when I was a kid, then discovered cars and girls... 馃檪 now that im older, and married I no longer worry about girls, but still have love affair with cars... (only recently back to trains when my grandad passed away and left me his collection)
Ok back to the car bit... in 06 I bought the car i had lusted over since i was a kid, wanted a 77 series 2, but ended up with an 83 series 3 jaguar xj6... first year I had it I went nuts. Replaced just about everything, this thing was drop dead gorgeous when I was done, started entering it into local car shows and even jag only shows, won plenty of trophies, even took second place in southeast in driven division...
Nowadays it pretty much sits in garage gathering dust as the engine has seen better days, I still drive it around some, and but only locally as it's just not that reliable....
So, here's my latest plan for it..( I will never get rid of it)
Being as I do all my own wrenching, I keep her running, although barely these days. And finding someone that can work on her, is really hard these days as although it has a computer to run the fuel injection, it's all analog and for some reason todays mechanics need to be able to plug into a port to figure stuff out... ( hell, i took company van in for a tune up a few months back and they didnt even have a scope, )
Ok, back to the plan... I have found a 96 corvette ( wrecked) with a good drivetrain LT1.. thinking about getting it for the jag.. they make kits to install the entire setup in there with the no cutting or welding., I know it's not gonna be a weekend job, will likely take a few months, but being as i just sold my boat, I have time and some spare cash....
What would you guys do??? 20151015_115319_160981736c46ae777a1fca3e09ef4d6680275015_1555363268761.jpg 20161203_102218_864dc6f26c5290c3fd129f55a41882c4847635ff_1555363293638.jpg 20160331_161003_2df876cba633e61c30a91354c3f4598d82dae26b_1555363392991.jpg

Registered
Your Jag looks like a great car. That particular model was one of the grandest sedans Jag ever made. I have some recent experience with Jaguar - owned 2016 a Jaguar F-type S until recently

Yes, there are a few "car people" here - like more than half those on the forum!
I'm one: dyed in the wool car nut.
Real cars: I briefly raced cars when young and was a mechanic/test driver on some minor teams - nothing that led anywhere, but It got to drive some hot cars in test sessions at the Nurburgring and places like that and see a bit of the racing scene in Europe and over here. Learned a lot about cars, too.
Over the years I've owned some interesting and really nice sports cars. Love to talk about cars, all types, for any reason.

Model cars: Every Friday on the O-Gauge forum I post an updated thread titled "Automobiles, Trucks, and Buses for O-Gauge, where I talk about the real cars and models of them that you can use on the layout.

You will find lots of car guys here and lots of car-related threads on this particular sub-forum.

Registered
Its a question only you can answer. I see it is a beautiful car and a trophy winner you want to be able to drive on a routine basis. I used to have collectible cars but not anymore. None of mine were Jags but several of my friends had them.
From what I recall the LT1 conversion is theoretically reversible if you keep the original parts. The challenge I saw was that a well tuned LT1 causes other things to break/wear out. Would you do the engine/transmission or everything out to the rear hubs?
I am sure restoring the entire driveline to as new including a complete engine/transmission/differential teardown and rebuild is really expensive. The up front cost of the LT1 conversion has to be less. Would you be happy driving around wrapped in a collectible Jag with Chevy power? If so, do it.
What finally pushed me out of driving collectibles (and storing them) was personal and passenger safety. The braking, steering, crush design, restraints and airbag systems just are not what they are in new cars.

Registered
"Car people"
is a relative term.
I've owned;
1967 Stang
1968 Stang
1962 T-bird
1968 T- bird
1991 T-bird
1995 T-bird (still drive it)
1967 Dodge Pickup
1982 Dodge Pickup

I could go on..
Today I am retired and own/drive
3 cars
2 trucks
1 Jeep
1 motorcycle
All told, valued at around $600.00 :eek:

Registered
.... The braking, steering, crush design, restraints and airbag systems just are not what they are in new cars.
Interesting, we recently put the steering column back into a 1968 Dodge Charger. The 'collapsible" steering column looks strong enough to go right through my chest

Registered
My past cars.....1964 Corvair...1965 Impala..1966 Impala SS..1941 Ford coupe...1940 Ford Sedan..1934 Ford Sedan...1970 Nova..1974 Nova...1971 Nova...1940 Willys...1949 Dodge...1973 El Camino..1976 Chevy truck... 2 1967 GTO's....1969 Corvette...1969 442...1971 Chevelle...1973 Vega wagon...1985 Monte Carlo SS,(still have it),..1973 Olds Omega....1996 T-Bird...1990 Z-24...1983 Z-28...1994 Grand Am...2002 Monte Carlo...1996 Grand Am...1996 Chevy 4x4..1981 Chevy 4x4, 2000 Chevy 4x4...1957 Chevy...2012 Malibu..2019 Nissan Rogue...2002 Impala.. and my current antique cars..1969 Nova and a 1939 Chevy Master DeLuxe... 003.JPG

452.JPG ..Still have the 2002 Impala, Nissan Rogue, 2000 Chevy truck...2012 Malibu...and the 1985 Monte Carlo SS. all registered...

Registered
Interesting, we recently put the steering column back into a 1968 Dodge Charger. The 'collapsible" steering column looks strong enough to go right through my chest
I think too many of them did - why we have airbags now. Things have improved a lot in the past fifty years, but I still love those old cars from the '60s.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
https://youtu.be/TKM1vr19MZQ. Heres a link of it at the Jcna slalom back in 07.. already beefed everything up when i used to do this, all suspension and bushings redone, even swapped in a limited slip dif. So the lt1 power shouldn't be an issue, as already mentioned, the swap is completely reversible. So I would keep the original drive train in case for some. Reason these cars become valuable..

Registered
I love cars......
My 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo
My love , my 2003 Chevy Monte Carlo S.S Limited Edition.

There not cars, but i have another love.
My 2005 Polaris 700 Xc Sp
And my vintage race sled, 1980 Polaris TX-L

Attachments

Registered
I always thought the XJ6 was a nice looking car. One of the best looking cars ever made. Years ago, there was a Daimler version of the XJ6 at a house where I delivered newspapers. Rare bird. Only ever saw that one.

Should you put a Vette engine in the Jag? NO WAY! NEVER! You should be banned from calling yourself a car guy for even thinking about it. The Jag 6 was a nice engine even if it had too much pollution crap by 83. How many miles are on it? Is the engine clapped out or just in need of tuning? Might be hard to find someone that can work on it, but if there is a Jag only car show in your area, you should be able to find a good Jag mechanic.

I have a 74 Alfa that I bought in 76. It has less than 40K miles and still runs well. Like your Jag, it stays in the garage most of the time. I drive it on nice sunny days, but due to its age, I don鈥檛 drive it very far from home. It was a fantastic car when it was built, but just about any modern econobox will out accelerate and out handle it. I have too much fun driving the original 1974 car to ever change it. There have been a few problems that local mechanics could not figure out, but there are two places within 40 minutes that know Alfas.

Registered
Yep! There's a lot of us! I'm a GTO guy, own both a 67 and 05 Goat. 67 is in decent shape but planning to restomod it. Don't drive it that much because I don't trust the drums. Was planning to do a disc conversion in the short term while it waits for restoration but that went out the window with my Wife's 3k dental bill!

Registered
Derrenmb -
I thought about this a day or two before commenting more on the idea of converting the car to a V8.
1) I think there used to be kits to make convertsion to a GM LT1 or 350 crate engine and transmission fairly straightforward. Might look for them.
2) My experience doing several such swaps is that it is often a fun project but full of challenges and frustrations.
3) The probability of having to have something custom made, such as a special drive shaft reduction, exhaust collector, or whatever, is very high. These are expensive and can drive you crazy getting them right.
4) Don't overpower it. Tempting and sooo easy to do with a GM V8.
5) There is a lot of tiny things to finally get right, but I've seen it done to a Jag (older 1960 model) and work splendidly with a 350 GM crate engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
You are correct, there are several companies that make the kits to do this project, some more complete than others, so we just have motor and trans mounts, others are pretty much turn key... I like the satisfaction in get when I do more myself, I am therefore looking at the basic kit, with a just a few add ons.. for example the speedo adapter, the driveshaft, the shift cable adapter keep stock shifter and the exhaust down pipes, especially designed to clear steering rack and oil filter.. etc...
I have done my homework on this as I bought the car 13 years ago with plans to do this straight away... but life in the way, I did warm over the jag motor a little, by deleting cats with a european down pipe, deleted front mufflers, port matching the intake to head, advanced cam timing, but at end if day it's a tired 4.2 straight 6 running through old world analog fuel injection controlled by a plastic flap in an air flow meter...

Registered
Anyone car people on here or all just train folk??
I our garage is my wife's Honda S2000, my Porsche Boxster, and our Sunbeam Tiger... but I might not be Car Folk. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I got the drive train. Lots of misinformation... lol. It's out of a 94 camaro, still lt1 but better as its obd1, so no complaints there, no clue as to mileage as it was already swapped into an early 70s monte carlo.. guy threw in just about everything.. I got motor, trans, pcm and harness (already standalone) drive shaft, radiator, ac condenser, oil cooler. AND even a set of brand new shorty block hugger headers
Picked up whole shebang for a grand.

Being as I dont know mileage, I have torn down motor and am sending block out to be machined.. crank to be polished and heads to be redone too...

Here it is as it came to me, and as it sits now.. 20190420_124911_1556313590412.jpg 20190426_150807_1556313669460.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
As you can see in pics, it's almost apart... I'm having issues getting front hub off.. broke my 30 year puller and is bending my new one.. ( maybe harbor freight was a bad idea for that. But hell it was only 30 bucks)
I have been soaking hub in pb blaster for a few days, will try again tomorrow, if no joy, I will try to heat it a little and maybe buy a decent puller... lol

1 - 20 of 49 Posts