Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Ought to be a lot of fun. Last swap I made, I just bought a GM 350 crate engine. Lazy way out. Nice engine, quite easy to install.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
I'm going to stay away from that auction - very dangerous for someone like me. Get too close and . . . I've caught the fever again!!!

I have a car I might even consign to the auctioneers - should. Like his cars, although I now have just one, its old, classic, and just sits in a garage, and has for a long, long time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update... sort of.

Picking up block and crank tomorrow from machine shop, after inspection it was decided block was only in need of a hone, so it was cleaned, new cam bearings, all new freeze plugs and honed.. all crank needed was a polish!! I love good news!!!
I ordered new rings and con rod bolts yesterday, also new springs for when the heads get done, ( needed to accommodate the lt4 hot cam)
Heads, intake and exhaust manifolds will all be port matched (unfortunately headers wont fit past the jag steering column) , will be installing a 2800-3200 stall converter so motor wont lug below the curve, should be a good runner in the end... already have a spare pcm and will get a mail order tune on it, in case I brick mine trying to tune myself.. it's a new area for me.. turning wrenches is the easy part, been doing that for about 40 years now.. playing with tables in a computer program may be beyond my expertise... lol
Will post more as i progress, which promises to be slow as wife has foot surgery next week, 30 days with no weight on foot then another 30-45 in a walking boot ( no driving) so my me time will be extremely limited..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, its in and done, (sort of) got it installed and running, but previous owner swapped out injectors and never adjusted pcm tune, so its running waaaay rich, i have ordered a set of stock injectors.
I still need to fabricate a bracket for the pcm and get ac lines fabbed up, after its running properly i will post up vids.. 20191214_114056_1583101899207.jpg 20191214_125109_1583101944697.jpg 20200105_122802_1583101982372.jpg 20200227_093710_1583102030780.jpg

·
Registered
559 Posts
My father and I built my truck from 8 junkyard trucks in 1989..
high school truck... still sittin in my driveway.
2001 silverado 8.1L sittin in garage. want to put it in or 383 stroke my 350 and add Holley Sniper kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Love fast cars but could never afford 'em….so my thrills come from 2 wheels. Does that count?:D

Head shot of my current wheelymobile…

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
While I was looking for parts for the swap i came across a deal i couldnt pass up, completely unrelated to the swap, but all part of the end package i want!!! What do you think? Got 5 for 550 shipped!!! 20200129_171757_1583157463820.jpg 20200217_090401_1583157491450.jpg 20200201_153157_1583157517297.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hit send too soon, they are the Daytons, made for the jag. 15x 7 or 8 cant remember and im not near them with a tape measure.. 🙂

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
My 2016 C7 Corvette.
She is pretty.

In the early 90's one of the car mag.'s did face off between 5 cars: 911, Lotus Espirit, and a couple Italians. The Vette was rated overall in the middle of the pack coming in 3rd.

But I'll never forget a writers quote about the Vette: "When you step on the gas, make no mistake about it, Yankee Doodle coming through."

·
Registered
412 Posts
Some of my past endeavors. Restored the 1959 Corvette myself but farmed out the drive train. Same for the MG's.

First and last Jaguar I ever drove was a XK-150.

How did you fabricate the engine mounts on your engine swap?

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I didnt fabricate anything, suncoast conversions in florida sells a kit, its motor and trans mounts, all bolt in, easily reversed if needed, the only thing you have to cut is the radiator upper brace, and only then cutting a hole for the radiator cap... its a very neat and tidy installation....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Suncoast also sell the special down pipe for the exhaust to clear the steering rack, and also adapters to use jag oil and tenp sensors so factory gauges still work, have to solder a 330 ohm resistor into tach and buy a speedo calbration gizmos, changes the 4000ppm that chevy pcm put out to 8000ppm that jag speedo needs...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Shes down already......

Transmission gave up the ghost... shoulda gone through it as well...
Pulled trans and sent out to be rebuilt, got it back and now no 4th.... shop has car now, they say they will pull back out if needed, on their dime no less!!!
Just when I got her just about right... got the wheels on her, even got the cruise control to work. Have a new ac compressor and accumulator sitting on bench for when she comes back, old one works but you Can hear the freon (well r134a) coming right out of the body seam... holds a vacuum overnight, but leaks all gas out in about 4 hours...
Anyways here she is in all her glory!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nice build. If you are using the transmission from the 1996 corvette, that would be a 4l60 transmission. Basically a old 700r4. They are great transmissions. However with a increase in torque ( engine build) you will definitely want to have it build stronger. Have a reputable builder do the job. That is a electronicly controled transmission. New heavy duty rebuild, with all new shift solenoids, and converter switches is a must. I mentioned that because many rebuilders do not replace those items during a rebuild. Makes no sense to me but..... one more note. Be extremely careful what stall converter you use. The wrong type can destroy a transmission. If you haven't replaced the radiator, i would do so. New one.you never know what could be possibly blocking the transmission cooler in the radiator. I apologize if you already knew all this. Im just trying to help. I've been down the road of engine and transmission building for years. I've learned what and what doesn't work. Chevy is my primary choice. Good luck, Dave.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts