Model Train Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Drivetrain turned out to be from a 94 Pontiac formula, basically the same, just different accessory setup, and obd1 pcm.
I got a new radiator and also an external trans cooler. Had the pcm tuned for the new cam and line pressures and shift points adjusted as well.
Trans rebuild included new bands, clutches, etc, solenoids, , pressure switches, torque converter, they also replaced the servo, they think that the band failed, as they say 2nd is acting flakey as well...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here's where most of my money ends up! Sadly the 78 is no longer in my possession.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Shes down already......

Transmission gave up the ghost... shoulda gone through it as well...
Pulled trans and sent out to be rebuilt, got it back and now no 4th.... shop has car now, they say they will pull back out if needed, on their dime no less!!!
Just when I got her just about right... got the wheels on her, even got the cruise control to work. Have a new ac compressor and accumulator sitting on bench for when she comes back, old one works but you Can hear the freon (well r134a) coming right out of the body seam... holds a vacuum overnight, but leaks all gas out in about 4 hours...
Anyways here she is in all her glory!! View attachment 545129 View attachment 545130 View attachment 545131 View attachment 545132 View attachment 545133

My second cousin had one of those he bought new decades ago. It was a real looker.

I used to build 455 Buick engines in the eighties. Restored a couple of GS's and one GSX too in 1984. Others I just bought and drove while working on the good ones.

My 1971 GSX Stage 1 was my absolute favorite car though, and still is. I sure miss it. Stump-pulling torque and big block goodness. You could get a lot of horsepower out of those engines with the right Ken Belle parts. The hard part was keeping them together with their less than stellar oiling system.

Fastest US production car in 1970 was the Buick GSX Stage 1.

Reactions: flyernut

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would stay away from the lt1 corvette engine. If you’re going to do a gm v8 swap into it I would go with a 4th generation 5.3. They’re nearly bulletproof and great on fuel. You could also go with an ls engine (3rd gen) and make an awesome running fuel injected car that’s going to start easily every time and yet again get good economy and good performance. My pickup I drive is a 550 horse 2012 Silverado crew cab. I’ve got a mild cam in it a tune a shift kit and some good spark plugs and it boosted my horsepower up over 100 horse. If I ever get a grip on my train habit I want to do a 12 valve Cummins diesel swap into my built 1995 silverado that’s lifted and has 40” mud tires under it. But if you’re looking for power, reliability, and fuel economy the ls engines are a good candidate along with the 4th gen lt

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Too late, lt1 is in and done!!! Being as its externally essentially a sbc, they make a kit to install install it, Everything can be bought for the swap, the only things that must be custom fabbed are the ac lines, and the exhaust. Lt1 is fuel injected so i have the easy starts and get about 22 mpg (on freeway) with the 2.88 gears, with the tune,cam and 1.6 rockers, i am already traction limited, as nice as the ls would.have been, it would have cost about double what i have into this setup.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Those are some tall gears. That ought to really fly on the Autobahn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 1973 nova street legal race car for twelve years. Now it has not been out of the garage in three years with the for sale signs in it.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts