Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Mini dings at me: whenever the outside temperature gets anywhere close to freezing, almost constantly when it thinks the liftgate isn’t closed tightly. A brake sensor failed a few weeks ago. Brakes were fine, but the 12-year old sensor failed. The car dinged at me and the display had an image of a mini on a lift till I got it fixed. Because I change my own oil, but don’t have the special tool to tell the computer that I did that, the SERVICE light comes on whenever I start the car.

My wife’s 2013 Ford has a message whenever it starts when oil change is required soon. Not too annoying, but it worries her which IS annoying. Thankfully, I can reset this one after I change the oil.

My 2019 VW not only has the oil change thing, but it’s giving me a deadline. “Oil change required in X days.”

I could go on.

I can read an odometer to tell when oil change is needed. I can sense the outside temperature. I check my brake pads, tire pressure, oil level, etc. regularly. Maybe these warnings are welcomed by folks that just don’t have a clue about how cars work or don’t want to be bothered by keeping track of maintenance, but I find them annoying.

Anyone else feel that way?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yea, ya gotta love it. LOL
My 2018 F-150. Back up to a trailer, get out hook up trailer, get back in truck, start it and it dings and says there is a trailer hooked up to truck. I remembered doing that thanks. Good thing about it, it will also tell me if the trailer has a bad bulb. Without even using the turn signal truck will tell me, right turn signal on trailer not working properly.

·
Admin
43,475 Posts
Well, you're complaining about things that probably 98% of the public would not notice or deal with, that's what the warnings are there for. Obviously, for the folks that attend to such things, it's more of an annoyance. FWIW, both my wife and daughter have come to me multiple times to ask about warnings like "What's that little U shaped symbol with an ! in it for?

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
All those warning lights and buzzers are there to scare you into taking the car in for servicing, at ridiculous prices.....that's the world we live in now....scare the people in every aspect that they can.....the question is, why?

And of course, if the car is still under warranty, and you change your own oil, you better keep all your receipts and record the mileage, because they will try to refuse to honor the warranty if something goes bad....

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
My 04 Silverado dings for 10 seconds when I start it due to a bad ABS sensor (and pulled ABS fuse). At 16 years old and 215,000 miles I think it is allowed to complain for 10 seconds since it runs without any other odd sounds or noises after that.

I agree that I am not a fan of the touchscreens and beeps and alerts all of the newer cars have. My 2013 Mazda is probably one of the last made without a touch screen, dials and big buttons for everything.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And of course, if the car is still under warranty, and you change your own oil, you better keep all your receipts and record the mileage, because they will try to refuse to honor the warranty if something goes bad....
Actually, I bought the oil from the VW dealership so that's in their records. The car requires oil that meets their new spec (VW 108 00) and you can only get it at a VW dealer. Castrol makes oil that meets the spec, but Castrol told me it's only available at VW.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Actually, I bought the oil from the VW dealership so that's in their records. The car requires oil that meets their new spec (VW 108 00) and you can only get it at a VW dealer. Castrol makes oil that meets the spec, but Castrol told me it's only available at VW.
That would certainly convince me to not buy a VW! I'll take my two Fords, oil for which I can even buy in a grocery or hardware store in a pinch.

As for the sensors and beeps, I'm intelligent enough to take care of my vehicles, but many people just aren't aware of the maintenance needs. Take a little time and read the manual. Or ignore that and make the manufacturers install noisy expensive reminders to keep you from destroying the vehicle.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Same with my Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross....I buy my oil and filters from them, so there is a record.....

I was just commenting for others that like to do your own work; save receipts and record dates, or the warranty may be jeopardized....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts