Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I know how to install the kadee springs in couplers but at 74 I am not quite as agile as I used to be and I just lost about a dozen springs trying to put one on a coupler on a car. They all go flying somewhere in my shop. ARGHHHHHHHH!!!
maybe somebody has some tricks to avoid losing them.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hi..I haven't done this in decades. But I believe one way is to put a dab of petroleum jelly on an Exacto knife blade and carefully slip blade in middle of spring. Then without removing blade mount one end of spring on its nub on the shank side of coupler. Then carefully get spring on the knuckle's nub. Slowly lift blade out...
Also, I think the little envelope has directions on it (which may be where I got this from)....
Good luck ! I'm 72 !! M

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
That's the process I use as well, except I put the blade in the spring about 1/3 of the length from the end, not in the middle. Then I put the longer end of the spring on first, then slip the shorter end on the nub.....seems to work better for me that way....

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
a razor knife, or xacto knife does help, just wedge it in between the coils, and use it as a 'handle' to get one side in, and then the other

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's the process I use as well, except I put the blade in the spring about 1/3 of the length from the end, not in the middle. Then I put the longer end of the spring on first, then slip the shorter end on the nub.....seems to work better for me that way....
Right. Yeah I think I did that too (at 1/3rd, not middle). I think this is because it makes for better leverage in making the slight bend in the spring to meet the knuckle side..The 1/3 on the knuckle side, if I recall..

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
In addition to the exacto knife blade in the spring, I put a dab of CA glue on the end of the spring. That keeps it in place once it comes into contact with the knuckle body.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Kadee makes a tool for this.......#241 Manual Uncoupling Tool & Built In Spring Pic.....but I have never used one, so I don't know if it works any better than any other tool or method.....

image.jpeg

·
Registered
844 Posts
I use a VERY small flat-blade screwdriver (as found in eyeglass repair kits).
Also - a BRIGHT light helps.
Having a "bowl" or something similar underneath helps to catch the spring if it pops out. Doesn't work all the time.

Take the coupler OUT OF the draft gear -- easier to manipulate.
Have extra springs around, you're gonna lose some!

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Extra springs can usually be found floating around the bottom of the coupler package/envelope, in case no one has noticed that before.....I suspect Kadee throws a couple in each package for this very reason.....

I have managed to acquire hundreds of extra springs since I started converting to Kadees, back in 1986.......

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
Ken of D&J has it right. He says put a tiny dab of
Super Glue on one end of the spring...should work,
but I've had great success putting the super glue dab on
the LOWER coupler tab, then use the blade to
fit the spring on, pause for glue set, then put
loose end of spring on the upper tab. It may take
the same 'wriggling' but at least the spring won't
take wing.

Don

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
My response------------ finally!

Hi,
I know how to install the kadee springs in couplers but at 74 I am not quite as agile as I used to be and I just lost about a dozen springs trying to put one on a coupler on a car. They all go flying somewhere in my shop. ARGHHHHHHHH!!!
maybe somebody has some tricks to avoid losing them.
Thanks
Bill

Bill;

I typed out a list of tips to help you days ago, but my computer in it's infinite wisdom, erased it. So, since I have pdf files on lots of other subjects that I send out to people, I made one for parts handling tips.

Here you go. View attachment Tips for handling small parts.pdf

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
138 Posts
As said by another here, yes, a tiny, tiny dab of CA glue on one spring nub. (I use the knuckle end.) Then Add spring to that. Let it set up (20/30 secs?).
I am a big fan of the Kadee #241 pic tool. Especially since I have the proverbial fat fingers syndrom-lol. I tried the exacto knife thing. It does work for me, sort of but, for $3 american for the pic tool why bother? I also agree with others here about the 1/3-1/4 thing on the spring. A good desk/work light is also paramount in my somewhat humble opinion.

·
Registered
138 Posts
And another thing.
I will never go back back to using the standard 20 series couplers with that troublesome copper spring plate. A nuisance to say the least.
Whisker couplers are my friend. Dear Lordt, what took them so long to create these?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts