Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a few BLI engines, I love them, they all pull like ox, I want to try an MTH engine, whenever I see one at the club they always look and sound lovely, and the smoke look better than on my BLI models, but I have heard absolute horror stories about their customer service. I would really like to pick up the Berkshire 765 and the Bavarian Class S 3/6 in classic German black and red. Im also considering the daylight set but MTH is asking a hell of a lot for each car so well see. I want to know do you guys have experience with MTH engines, how do they run, pull, feel, etc... and most importantly when they break down how is the customer service? Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
I have about 75 MTH O-Gauge engines. Very good quality and excellent customer service the few times I needed it.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Well I still think Isaac is asking about HO since he mentions BLI, but I’ll join the trio to sing the praises of MTH O gauge trains. Haven’t had much need for service on my 50 or so MTH engines. When I did need service, local MTH authorized repair techs like GRJ were great to deal with. Their web site is excellent if you are trying to find a specific loco model. I have two gripes about MTH. Its very difficult to find part numbers. Also, the wireless draw bar on PS3 steamers is a lousy design.

I don’t know if the same praises can be sung for MTH S or HO gauge stuff.

·
Admin
43,491 Posts
The parts availability, even for repair folks, is the major gripe I have with MTH. Lionel has the parts end of the business fairly well greased, maybe because you need parts so much more often, but with MTH, it's a struggle.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I've got 12 HO MTH diesel locos, PA PB PA and two F3 ABB sets.
Only had to send one F3B in for repair and had it back in about 3 weeks.
I've got no complaints about MTH, they look and sound very good and
have excellent slow speed capability.
I run these on a Digitrax DCC system with on issues.

Magic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts