Model Train Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen them paint ties yellow for a derail before but not anything out on the mainline like this. It’s next to these guys which I assume are just for the crossing but not sure what the white tie symbolizes.
Sky Cloud Plant Track Tree

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Could be clearance marker for the crossing, there are different requirements according to what state it is, in Illinois it’s 500’, gives trains a reference point to stop short of a public crossing

·
Premium Member
MTH O gauge engines,mongrel rolling stock
273 Posts
I was thinking it had something to do with whatever is in those bungalows, but close look at tie I don't see any wiring or connected devices.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Really lacks enough context to answer. If CSX, it likely is a marking for a culvert or some such. Could also be a clearance or fouling marking of some kind. Is that your own photo? If so, did you take any others of the area that could help us figure it out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, j
Really lacks enough context to answer. If CSX, it likely is a marking for a culvert or some such. Could also be a clearance or fouling marking of some kind. Is that your own photo? If so, did you take any others of the area that could help us figure it out.
Sorry it was just a quick post while I waited for Amtrak. It is CSX trackage and didn’t take any other photos. I won’t be able to take any new photos for a week or two since I’m staying in Indianapolis for a little while. Sorry I didn’t provide much context. There were some electronics hooked up to the rail just a few feet after the tie.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,756 Posts
I’ve seen them paint ties yellow for a derail before but not anything out on the mainline like this. It’s next to these guys which I assume are just for the crossing but not sure what the white tie symbolizes. View attachment 586617
It is the Mason/Dixon line. :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would defer to TrackJockey on this.
But if I was to wager I’d say probably a marker for either physical clearance, or dispatcher clearance. It might be a crew change point?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm going to guess that it's some kind of indicator as to where a circuit begins/ends or activates/de-activates.

Since it was about 100 feet from a crossing, I'm thinking that it might indicate the following:
  • where the crossing circuit is RELEASED, after the train has passed over the crossing.
  • the point at which a train will RE-activate the crossing protection if it has passed over the crossing in one direction, and then changes direction.

Were there any fixed signals near where this was located?
If so, might have something to do with them, as well.
Or... perhaps with PTC...

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Why again?
The person I quoted in post #2 said, "when I asked a M of W guy about it he said it meant that there was a pipe or culvert or something passing underneath the right-of-way at that point. "

At this point that is the most "definitive" answer I have seen.

"Again" because somebody else said it... again.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.