Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered why Lionel doesn't come out with a Burro crane with an e unit. I was looking at the new electronic e units on ebay and thought maybe they would fit inside. However it's hard to tell just how big they are from the pictures people post. Anyone ever tried this?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,318 Posts
I've always wondered why Lionel doesn't come out with a Burro crane with an e unit. I was looking at the new electronic e units on ebay and thought maybe they would fit inside. However it's hard to tell just how big they are from the pictures people post. Anyone ever tried this?

I never had one but have been looking to get one, it is on my wish list.:D
But I thought it did move forward and in reverse?:confused:

http://www.postwarlionel.com/cgi-bin/postwar?ITEM=3360

In this link it says,
Many feel the 3360 is the premium crane car produced during the postwar era. Not only did Lionel's model resemble a real-life Burro crane, but could performed many of the same functions. The crane can travel in forwards or reverse, can stand in a neutral position, the cab can rotate 360 degrees and the hook can raise or lower based upon a unique internal assembly.

That is why I always thought they did move both ways.:confused:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have one.

It does move in both directions, but the change in directions is acutated by a lever on the side.

It moves somewhat like a No. 50 gang car.

I have a dedicated track on my table for the little crane and a work caboose.

I've not tried to put an e unit in, but my hand cars do reverse.

I removed the rectifier which made the unit DC only, then converted my track to DC. To change direction, I change the polarity of the track.

It works well, but the little hand cars don't like my 1122 switches much. The work great on my 27" circle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does go both ways and the cab swivels around, the boom goes up and down and the hook up and down too, but all by hand. The reverse action is sort-of like the Gang car if you know that one. You can attach to the track a bracket to trip the reversing lever but that's far more limited than an e unit.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,318 Posts
I have one.

It does move in both directions, but the change in directions is acutated by a lever on the side.

It moves somewhat like a No. 50 gang car.

I have a dedicated track on my table for the little crane and a work caboose.

I've not tried to put an e unit in, but my hand cars do reverse.

I removed the rectifier which made the unit DC only, then converted my track to DC. To change direction, I change the polarity of the track.

It works well, but the little hand cars don't like my 1122 switches much. The work great on my 27" circle.
It does go both ways and the cab swivels around, the boom goes up and down and the hook up and down too, but all by hand. The reverse action is sort-of like the Gang car if you know that one. You can attach to the track a bracket to trip the reversing lever but that's far more limited than an e unit.

OK Thanks, I never knew that.

I just always assumed that they had an e unit.
I am guessing that there is not enough room in the cab then?

I guess I never read the link page I posted, as it says this,

Also included with the 3360 was one track activator. This track activator is different in size compared to the more common track activator for the 55 Tie-Jector car.

You think they would have included at least 2 of the activators.
And made them the same size as the Tie-Jector.:rolleyes:

Live & learn.:D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
T-Man, here you go

DC track demo

DC is quieter too, e units and switches don't buzz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the tip John about the Dallee, their photo shows it next to a dime so i can get a sense if it would fit, it does look small enough. I still would like to hear from someone who's done this

dallee.com/e_units.htm

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The video is great but I wanted the motor pictures with connections to a rectifier or are they DC motors to begin with?
The handcar has a DC can motor. There is a small rectifier with the AC leads soldered to the frame and pickup. The DC leads then go to the motor. I removed the rectifier.

The ballast tamper had a rectifier in it, which I installed from a kit. The kit converted the AC/DC motor (universal) to a DC motor.

Here are the instructions that came with it, 20 years ago.

For $11.95, I got a rectifier and the instructions. But, I did learn how to make the conversion, and, the store owner told me how to make a converter for the transformer.

I used the largest rectifier sold at the Shack and a capacitor. The AC leads go to the transformer and the DC leads go to the track. The capacitor bridges the DC leads and helps boost the voltage.

A DPDT switch then is used between the AC/DC converter and the track to change the direction of travel.

BTW, I'm careful not to run the ballast tamper in reverse while in "tamping" mode. There are cams which would destroy the tamper action. For this reason, I did not attempt to convert the Burrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts