Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to play around with Anyrail, making a layout for fun, really just to get the hang of it.

This is the staging level and i dont think im 100% done with it. but i thought i would post it here to get some reactions. I'm hoping i can receive some feedback whether it be positive or negative and recommendations and criticisms.

I would be happy to go more in to detail of my thinking behind everything if someone is interested and wants to know

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
While the scale isn't mentioned, the first
thought that comes to mind is that many
of the curves seem far too 'sharp'. For smooth
running of most HO locomotives, you need curves
with a radius of at least 22".

Further, there is no indication of spurs, yards or
any track where cars can be 'stored'. A layout
as large as your drawing seems to indicate should
have lots of switching capabilities.

Don

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While the scale isn't mentioned, the first
thought that comes to mind is that many
of the curves seem far too 'sharp'. For smooth
running of most HO locomotives, you need curves
with a radius of at least 22".

Further, there is no indication of spurs, yards or
any track where cars can be 'stored'. A layout
as large as your drawing seems to indicate should
have lots of switching capabilities.

Don
Sorry, the scale is HO.

As for the curves, I'm assuming you're mainly talking about the ones in the bottom left corner for being too sharp. The Largest radius is 40" and the smallest is 22". Every track descending from the 40" is 2" smaller I know the 22" is considered too small, but I thought I would just throw it in there as I had the space and it's possible that I could have a few small manifest trains that go in that track.

as for the indications, i have added indicators as to what everything is

Sleeve Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Wow...Now I see...had to enlarge the pic
to be able to read it correctly. I was looking
at the Slot car track...didn't even see the
the train diagram. The enlargement makes a big difference.
So that's just the staging area...the size
of it would indicate a very large layout in
the upper reaches. It'll be interesting to
see that also.

Don

·
Hobo for Life
7,123 Posts
Wow...Now I see...had to enlarge the pic
to be able to read it correctly. I was looking
at the Slot car track...didn't even see the
the train diagram. The enlargement makes a big difference.
So that's just the staging area...the size
of it would indicate a very large layout in
the upper reaches. It'll be interesting to
see that also.

Don
I thought the same. Looked like the outline of some not well thought out state. Lol.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It just gonna be a shame to realize you should of incorporated the slot car track and model railroad together, intertwined into a coheasive diaorama making the whole concept a animated experience for all those who visit your work.

Having the 2 separated will have you itching to wonder in the future why you didn't do it in the first place!
Well just my girly 2 cents for what it is worth. I love the idea and seeing other incorporated layouts makes me want to drain the bank account and add slot cars to my layout!!!!
Curious where this is going...subscribed....and thanks for sharing your concept! 🙂

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It just gonna be a shame to realize you should of incorporated the slot car track and model railroad together, intertwined into a coheasive diaorama making the whole concept a animated experience for all those who visit your work.

Having the 2 separated will have you itching to wonder in the future why you didn't do it in the first place!
Well just my girly 2 cents for what it is worth. I love the idea and seeing other incorporated layouts makes me want to drain the bank account and add slot cars to my layout!!!!
Curious where this is going...subscribed....and thanks for sharing your concept! 🙂
while i do agree having them intertwined would be very cool and stunning, it just wouldn't work out for what im doing. I really want the layout to be a high track density layout. The slot cars would take up a large amount of space that i would just much rather have for railroad/scenery.

Saying that, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to try to mess with another layout using that idea/design

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update-

started one of the many large/main industries on the layout. The paper Mill. I've always struggled designing a Paper Mill in sufficient way. Hopefully i hit it this time though

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Will you be able to access more than one side of the helices? And at what height is the lowest level?

Reaching into helices either to clear derailments or just maintenance is problematic. Best to have access to 3 sides. So the end of a peninsula, or spaced in from a corner is best.
Also, while most folks “box in” of cover a helix because it is not realistic, setting a backdrop at the interior edge, and leaving track visible/accessible from the aisle provides several advantages. Easier access/maintenance, you can see any problems, you can see where the train is if it’s taking longer than you’d prefer, and it can be a point of interest.

I would swap locations of the 40”R helix and the turntable, giving you better access. That is assuming the helix is in a corner. It might require shortening the race track peninsula by 6 inches. In any event, I’d flip the angle of that race track peninsula end so that you have a more even aisle and no squeeze point at the right side as shown.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will you be able to access more than one side of the helices? And at what height is the lowest level?

Reaching into helices either to clear derailments or just maintenance is problematic. Best to have access to 3 sides. So the end of a peninsula, or spaced in from a corner is best.
Also, while most folks “box in” of cover a helix because it is not realistic, setting a backdrop at the interior edge, and leaving track visible/accessible from the aisle provides several advantages. Easier access/maintenance, you can see any problems, you can see where the train is if it’s taking longer than you’d prefer, and it can be a point of interest.

I would swap locations of the 40”R helix and the turntable, giving you better access. That is assuming the helix is in a corner. It might require shortening the race track peninsula by 6 inches. In any event, I’d flip the angle of that race track peninsula end so that you have a more even aisle and no squeeze point at the right side as shown.
yes, i would be able to access them from more than one side. The helix located in the top left would 4 possibly 5 different access locations. For the helix located under the roundhouse, it is in a corner and it would have 3 access locations. Because of this i wont move it.

The lowest level i think is set at 30". It's an ok viewing angle if i were sitting in a chair. The main level is set 18" above that, so its at 4 feet. With the main level being at 48", If i were to put my arm down on the table, it would make about a 90% angle. The main level is the level i care most about, so i want the viewing and access to it to be the best it could be.

I do see what you mean about the isle space for the slot car peninsula. That peninsula's bench work outline specifically is not entirely correct. It needs to be changed into a better shape and it's length needs to be decreased. Although i do not care much for tight isle space (i probably should), as of now it's about 2.5 feet wide. After the necessary changes it will become bigger.

thank you for the questions and feedback. it really made me think more about the layout and planning.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My three deck heights are at 30”, 42” and 56”.
while deck heights are mainly dependent on your height, I actually think those heights are nice and would work well with me.

im going to implement those heights into this, possibly adjusting each by a few inches.

would it be possible for me to see a picture of your layout to get a sense of the viewing angles with those heights. I've never seen a multi deck layout in person, so im unaware of what is really needed for it baring the deck heights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts