Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lived in an apartment for several years now. I never had much room at my parents house to have my O gauge stuff out to run all the time, and moving into an apartment certainly didn't help that situation. A couple months back I purchased a queen sized "storage bed" from IKEA which has a heavy outer frame and a mattress frame that hinges up from the back so you basically end up with a storage box underneath for linens or whatever. I of course had a different purpose in mind and finally got around to working on it. :D

It's just under a 5'x7' space which allows for a couple small loops of track and some buildings/accessories. It's a great place to run items from my Postwar Lionel collection which don't get out to run very often since I usually run my modern stuff on the club layout at shows. It's simple, but I'm enjoying being able to run trains while drinking my morning coffee during this quarantine period. When I'm done, the mattress frame comes back down and you'd never know they were there. I'm sure this use of the bed is frowned upon for safety reasons, but I'll take my chances... :rolleyes:

The bed comes with four masonite panels that drop in to cover the floor underneath. I found a cheapish area rug that approximately fits the space on top of those panels with just a little overhang on the sides that I just curled up the walls of the bed frame. The height of the space is surprisingly decent so I can have some taller accessories. The floodlight tower does need to get tipped on its side before the frame can lower though but that's due to where I placed it in relation to the cross bracing in the frame.

9305E32A-D9CA-4CB0-9BD3-3387659BD65C.jpg

·
16,666 Posts
Perfect! Great use of space!

And I'd bet that many members here secretly dream about sleeping with their trains!

;)

TJ

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect! Great use of space!

And I'd bet that many members here secretly dream about sleeping with their trains!

;)

TJ
Thanks!

I was thinking this morning about how much I would have enjoyed having trains under my bed when I was a younger kid... At least I get to enjoy it now :laugh:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Great ideal, does the transformer stay put too, or do you have to move it to close up the bed?

I don't know what kind of locking is on the bed but I would take extra precaution against it accidentally falling down and squashing you like a bug. Or injuring a body part.
I would add something else like a 2 x 4 or something.

Two loops too, :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
And now you can fall asleep listening to that gentle clickety clack sound on the rails....just like on a sleeper car! :thumbsup:
Heck yeah! Put a timer on the transformer power cord and go to sleep with trains. It'll shut itself off.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!

Although closing the mattress doesn't pinch the cord, I feel more comfortable unplugging it anyway before closing everything up so as to limit the potential fire hazard under my sleeping area. In reality there's probably not much to worry about, but I'd rather not take the chance. :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts