Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright ... silly question, perhaps ...

I'm a sailor with a lifetime nautical background. Rule #1: Sailboats and sailing ships are always, ALWAYS referenced as FEMALE. "Ahh ... she's got a strong bone in her teeth tonight and we'd better be furling those topsails."

So, as a relative newbie to the train world and to this forum, I've been babbling away on various threads and referring to trains (and locos, especially) as "she" or "her" ... mechanical creations of the feminine persuasion!

Is this the norm in the railroad world? I'm sure there are plenty of old steam locos that belch, burp, and pass gas like a lot of beer-chugging guys I know. But would you call any of those locos (the trains, not my buddies!) a "he"?

What's the official protocol???

For kicks, I did a quick Google search, and found this thread on an Atlas forum. It offers a few good laughs:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52920&whichpage=1

So, MTF gents (and gals) ... what's your read on the situation?

TJ

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
I believe that if the locomotives were real and we were the engineers who operated them, they would be more likely to be "she"s.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Evast there ye Lubber!

Hey TJ,
Good point and conversation piece. If you ask an Engineer what he calls his engine I'm pretty sure he will say "She". Now Model Trains could be a whole different subject. When they are responsive and operational I would use "The Nautical Term"....She! When uncooperative and, and generally a pain in the DUPA I would refer to the "Sailors Reference for Cussing 101".....Vol. one. Or as they say "You swear like a Sailor on shore leave"!!:D But yeah I call my engines She!:laugh:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,892 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,637 Posts
But what if its name is the Commodore Vanderbilt?
To put it in a simple terms without confusion it is named after the Commodore but not actually the commodore. SO a she named with a guys name. Sort of like the woman behind the man ,idea.

Shay you are a troublemaker.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts