Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am. I am a HOPELESS collector. I have WAY more trains than I will ever be able to run. Just unpacking them is a major effort. And, it doesn't stop with O Gauge. A couple of years ago, I decided to venture out into N Gauge land. So, I have about ten complete trains, lots and lots of track, a few buildings and about six power supplies.

Then, there is the vast collection of 1/43 vehicles, and Franklin Mint wooden shelves on which to display them.

And it doesn't end with trains. There is a collection of Murano Glass clowns numbering between 150 and 200. And books, all that I did intend to read, but never really dented the collection. Then there is art glass from the fifties. Lots of West Virginia glass and some Murano Glass, the numbers are unknown. Latest was a major influx of wooden nutcrackers, many from Germany.

I am hapless, hopeless, and powerless. I am addicted. I can never have one, or two or three.

I never had much as a kid, and perhaps this is a reason for my unreasonable behavior. I just like having stuff. I need another house just to attempt to display all these wonderful things. But, I cannot afford to collect houses. I may have outmatched myself.

Perhaps, I'll get on a hoarder TV show someday.

It's all true, but I do not apologize. I think, in reality, I have finally come to the end of my gathering phase in life. Now, what to do with all this stuff? I can never sell it all, so I'll have to devise a way to somehow lessen my possessions before I utter a final croak. :smilie_auslachen:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
No.

There are a lot of locomotives I would like to have, but they do not fit into the location or time of my railroad. That probably wouldn't stop me from buying them, but they are way on the back burner for the time being.

I'm still trying to get my railroad as it should be for the time and place that I'm modeling; Upper Bayern, northern Austria, and eastern Switzerland.

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
I am a collector - sure looks like it. About 150 locos, closing in on 2,000 O-Gauge model vehicles, and sixty five 1:350 scale model warships.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've collected many things but I'm new to trains and I'm trying NOT to be a collector.

I run everything I buy and after a year or so in the hobby, I've already sold quite a few things I realized I wouldn't be using anymore.

Hopefully, I can keep it going that way. I'm not interested in having boxes of trains I don't use. That means the layout is going to have to get HUGE! :eek:

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
V
No. Why would you want to collect things that do nothing but lose value?
Collectors buy, they don't sell so value doesn't enter into the equation.
For sure I am a collector but only trains. I have many other interests but have resisted trying to acquire more of those than I can use.

Pete

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Nope, I'm just a guy who runs trains. Everything car and engine I have gets on the track. Some more than others, but they all get running time.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
No. Why would you want to collect things that do nothing but lose value?
For the pure collector, they collect because they WANT to collect -- regardless of value. It brings them enjoyment, and it's their money to do with as they please. So value is somewhat immaterial... and very personal.

Me? I enjoy model trains and certainly admit to having more than I "need". So yes... I have a "collection". But I don't view myself as a "pure collector" anymore, because I'm more inclined to OPERATE the trains now that I finally have a nice layout to enjoy. ;) I also don't feel the need to own EVERYTHING in one particular interest area -- for example, ALL Atlas-O 40' reefers, or ALL Lionel 6464 boxcars.

But to paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield.... I am a proud member of Toy Trains Anonymous -- I just use a different name every time I attend a meeting. :D

David

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
In that case, I collect what fits on two shelves in my office closet.

I'm still more in the flipper category. I know I can't have 100's of engines so I buy and sell to have the ability to try different things.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff, you are lucky to be able to flip your stuff. It is a great way to own something for awhile, send it on, and replace it with a new thing. I tried that with wives, but it only worked once. :laugh:

The replacement wife is still here, after fifty years. When you get something good, you keep it. LOL.

W

·
0 Posts
Strictly a collector at the moment. Once we build a layout it will be a different story. I kind of feel like a little kid again....staring at all those boxes and wishing.

Gary.

·
Admin
43,463 Posts
I am a collector - sure looks like it. About 150 locos, closing in on 2,000 O-Gauge model vehicles, and sixty five 1:350 scale model warships.
GASP!!! :eek: You don't have an exact count of everything??? :confused: Where's that spreadsheet?? :p:p

·
Registered
762 Posts
I must be. My trains are all safely boxed up for now (due to nerve damage in my hands), but there was this ice-bunker reefer car in Western Fruit Express at modeltrainstuff.com - and I just had to order it :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am. I am a HOPELESS collector. I have WAY more trains than I will ever be able to run. Just unpacking them is a major effort. And, it doesn't stop with O Gauge. A couple of years ago, I decided to venture out into N Gauge land. So, I have about ten complete trains, lots and lots of track, a few buildings and about six power supplies.

Then, there is the vast collection of 1/43 vehicles, and Franklin Mint wooden shelves on which to display them.

And it doesn't end with trains. There is a collection of Murano Glass clowns numbering between 150 and 200. And books, all that I did intend to read, but never really dented the collection. Then there is art glass from the fifties. Lots of West Virginia glass and some Murano Glass, the numbers are unknown. Latest was a major influx of wooden nutcrackers, many from Germany.

I am hapless, hopeless, and powerless. I am addicted. I can never have one, or two or three.

I never had much as a kid, and perhaps this is a reason for my unreasonable behavior. I just like having stuff. I need another house just to attempt to display all these wonderful things. But, I cannot afford to collect houses. I may have outmatched myself.

Perhaps, I'll get on a hoarder TV show someday.

It's all true, but I do not apologize. I think, in reality, I have finally come to the end of my gathering phase in life. Now, what to do with all this stuff? I can never sell it all, so I'll have to devise a way to somehow lessen my possessions before I utter a final croak. :smilie_auslachen:
I feel your pain. I am a hopel4ess hoarder. Every time I attempt to clean up the place, about the only thing I throw out or sell or give away are dust and old cardboard boxes.
My main fear is leaving a huge burden on family after I'm gone. I swear that this spring I am going to start moving stuff. I live in a remote area, so yard sales are out, not enough people and most do not have a lot of extra income.
eBay is too time consuming meeting there requirements, Craig's list is just not practical because of my remote area, and board classifieds only helps on portion of my "Collections".

Dan

C

·
0 Posts
I am an operator/model railroader and not a collector or collector/operator. I enjoy building my layout and running trains. For me, the fun is in the doing, not the having. I want enough locomotives to have some variety so I'm not running the same trains all the time. When I get to that point, about 20 locomotives and 100 freight and passenger cars, I either won't buy any more or I will replace those I no longer run.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am more like an accumulator, almost picked up a dozen or so HO freight cars at a local show even though I don't have an HO layout. $5 a freight car, weighted, kadee couplers, metal wheels, geez why am I in O scale? If I ever lose my basement the switch to HO is going to be relatively inexpensive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts