Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
All those vehicles need maintenance of some degree or another. The more intrusive maintenance, i.e. complete tear down is done at Depots of which there are a few around the country. The vehicles are moved there by train as some may not be drivable. Upon completion of the work, they have to be returned to the owning unit. A large number of vehicles from one location may be from a major unit returning from deployment and the vehicles are sent for Depot maintenance of upgrades or repairs.
Other movements could be for unit training at places away from their home commands. Years ago we used to see the convoys of military vehicles on the highways. We still do now but its not as common as the military contracted train loads.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Back in the late sixties at Fort Lewis near Tacoma, Washington there was weekly movement of trains loaded with tanks and self-propelled howitzers in route to the Yakima Firing range for training in the Eastern Washington desert.

Bill

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The Commandant is taking a bold step to envision what the next battle field will look like instead of trying to improve on systems used in the last confrontation. If he is good at it, it may divert the next big war.
The Marine Corps is a Force in Readiness. Emphasis on Readiness.

·
Registered
719 Posts
To my knowledge this is not the zombie apocalypse.... So tanks on trains are just tanks on trains. Now snakes on a plane... totally different!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Saw two Paladin's (artty on a M1 chassis) on a UP train going through Houston about a week ago. Probably returning from the gulf to Ft Sam Houston in El Paso.

/watched entire trains of Army vehicles going/returning from Gulf War I & II + Afghanistan Buggaloo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts