1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ultimate detail
Brass hybrids.
A rivet counter's dream.

August shipping... I had a chance to handle a pre-production sample.

Brass sidewalls... accurate panel-holes for load-bracket hardware; Complete underbody & brake rigging detail; complete floor & interior side detail; over 40 brass wire parts; over 80 brass parts in all; Kadee couplers. Rolling quality is as good as MTH passenger cars (my gold standard).
Choice of code 88 or 110 flanges.

Except for finescale all-brass models, these are the most completely detailed I've ever seen. Every detail I can think of is replicated.
They aren't cheap... I believe MSRP will be $53... but my gosh, they're nice.

Even individual car load limit & tare weight is accurate per car number (as if the majority of us would notice or even care).
GONX707931Greenville2494RailgonGondola_Image1_printready_W9.0_600DPI_900x~3.jpg
3_railgon_05.jpg
2_railgon_07.jpg
0_railgon_09.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the price, (which is high for production models) the fact that it's basically a brass model with impeccable detail, I consider it a bargain, if detail is what you appreciate.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I had my eye on them but didn't they sell out? Maybe some dealers have them?

I also noticed exactrail has something newish out.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um...
No, never mind, I'll bite my tounge.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Well I'm not into this "here's our offering.oops, sold out overnight." The tangents recently mentioned are also gone. Ok I get it, it forces people who want something to buy. Thus ensuring you have little or limited excess sitting around. (And allowing you to skip the bigger online model train retailers to pump it up and move it)

In that line of thinking, i looked at the exactrail pic on their post about a new thing and the quantity of product is miniscule. Assuming the boxes shown were the entire run. I'm surprised they can get someone to build such small quantities and that it pays for the engineering side. I must be missing something....

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was the first car I've handled with code 88 flanges. I expected it to show derail tendencies.
But it appears to handle tracking without any issues whatsoever.
It would possibly not track well, if it were shoved into a curve like a 7 year-old might do.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Even individual car load limit & tare weight is accurate per car number (as if the majority of us would notice or even care)
If you are going to pay that much for an exact car like that.....you care.....

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Those are the most realistic looking wheels I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Overall, about 120 solder joints (probably robotic).
Side panels are laminated laser etched die-formed sheet brass.
Perhaps the $53 MSRP is indeed a bargain.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just learned that Arrowhead has produced some triple hoppers in almost the same way, and they're currently available singly, or in 6-car sets.
I'm pretty sure they're not brass hybrids like the gondolas, but they do have brass wire grabs, brake rigging, etc, and are about as finely detailed.
Three road names:
Pennsy, 48 car numbers.
D&RGW, 24 car numbers.
Southern, 12 car numbers.

Not sure what the MSRP is, but a friend got a set for $146... that's $24 each!
MRRPR0619_03.jpg
MRRPR0619_03A~2.jpg

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'd have to see one in person. Which reminds me I went to my local HS the other day and found their pile of old exactrail pieces, and bought the last gondola. So now I have 3 of them.

I could see in the packaging some of the small pieces had fallen off but no biggie I'll just glue them back.

They also had a couple of atlas auto rack carriers. Didn't get one but might just nab one if any are left next time I go.

Finally the only other that stood out in a very quick pass down aisle was a handful of Rapido steam cars.

But not a single Arrowhead ...

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
$24 each for those cars is an absolute steal! (y)
I haven't checked, but I think Lombard Hobbies has them at around that price.
Problem is, their shipping cost isn't very friendly.
Even so... it'd still be a bargain.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ordered a 6-pack of the Pennsy hoppers from Lombard.
$146.85 + shipping = $26.76 ea.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Our "Train Pimp" has no access to Arrowhead.
They're apparently being very exclusive and 'stand-offish'.
The gondolas are all sold out, and if they reappear, will likely be only on eBay. I can only imagine where that price will go to.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts