Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've had 2 or 3 MTH steam locos. I believe one was PS1 the other PS2. I don't have DCS or plan on getting it since there is no layout. Legacy is enough to try to remember every fall!

Both the locomotives smoked like crazy, to a point I had to turn them off and I LIKE smoke. Is this typical of MTH across the product lines and over the years? Or did I just get lucky with the two I had?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Yes, MTH for the most part, produces heavy smokers. It is adjustable through DCS. They seemed to hit that nail on the head in terms of design and function!

Tom

·
Registered
450 Posts
Both the locomotives smoked like crazy, to a point I had to turn them off and I LIKE smoke. Is this typical of MTH across the product lines and over the years? Or did I just get lucky with the two I had?
Yes, they smoke like crazy. I have many MTH engines and also a lot of MTH tinplate O/Std. They all really smoke.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Out of the box MTH is the best but with just a few tweaks Lionel units can smoke as well.

Pete

·
Admin
43,695 Posts
Pete is correct, I get many Lionel locomotives smoking similar to MTH, it just takes a little work. FWIW, the MTH smoke units don't really use more power, they just came up with a great design that has the smoke wick between the resistors and right in the airflow. Since nobody has replicated it, I have to assume they have some sort of patent on the idea.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Agree mth engines smoke very well nice and i like that the amount coming out can be adjusted.

On another note i like the late 40s steamer 675, 2025 they smoke nice just no adjustment .
Rebuilt one on a 675 and unintentionally wound one less wire and it smokes more than any other
here the pellet just does not last as long. That type of piston setup was simple back then .

·
Registered
898 Posts
Pete is correct, I get many Lionel locomotives smoking similar to MTH, it just takes a little work. FWIW, the MTH smoke units don't really use more power, they just came up with a great design that has the smoke wick between the resistors and right in the airflow. Since nobody has replicated it, I have to assume they have some sort of patent on the idea.
It is patented; I looked it up once. The patent seemed to be very wide in its terms basically encompassing the whole smoke unit and not just dual resistors.

It strikes me that Lionel has tried all sorts of alternative smoke unit designs; there's a bewildering variety of them although the basic idea is not rocket science.

MTH has also messed around with smoke unit controls. More recent diesel units have some control that limits output unless RPMs are ramped up. First engine I had of this type I thought was defective because it did not smoke in volume out of the box like older diesels.

But I would not call MTH's design or DCS generally bulletproof. Look at the thread on the dreaded "no engine to add" issue.

·
Admin
43,695 Posts
MTH and Legacy both have variable smoke output based on prime mover RPM, that's been that way for many years. Lionel had a chart that I can no longer fine that described all the smoke levels and how they were accomplished.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Here's the patent...

https://patents.justia.com/patent/6280278

Dated Aug 2001 it's 20 year run is coming to an end.
I don't think that's the one I am remembering and not least because it is for a smoke unit that has a pump to deliver fluid to the heating element and does not rely solely on wicking and capillary action. As far as I know no one has brought such a system to market for model trains.

In the course of looking this up, I saw that there are numerous patents for model railroad smoke systems, including one held by Lionel, and ten years back there was litigation between MTH and Broadway Limited over synchronized chuff smoke units: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2043611

FWIW the patent for MTH's dual resistor units is referenced on an old diagram of the original standard PS1 smoke unit that I have but can't lay my hands on at the moment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts