Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Another freebie.

Thursday night on my way home from work I was able to pick up another free find on craigslist. It also came with 3 more flex track and 5 cork roadbeds. The flex track is copper and the sectional track is nickle/silver. The platform is very well built. It measures 6'X4'. My wife took one look at it and said we could use it as a practice layout. Good idea, baby! It will also be nice to have a little one to mess with and run trains when we can't have the big one set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Practice Layout

I got to do a little train time lately. Two weeks ago I worked on cleaning up the track. It had a lot of corrosion. Last weekend I put the cork roadbed down. Then today I put the track back down. Yeah, the cork is off a bit. I've always done flex track before. When I was in the theater we had the saying a mistake well covered is art in it's highest form. I guess this will me a chance to see how good of an artist I can be. I took the hooks off afraid our On30 Christmas train might hit them. The total cost so far? Zero. This is gong to be our Christmas layout this year then it will be our test layout for landscaping and whatever before we do it on the main layout. No theme. Hmm, that's got me curious for the final results. Whatever it turns out to be it should be interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Today I have met with success. I have an old steam engine I've been working on trying to get to run. I also have an Athern GP9 that only tried to move. Today I hit both their commutator with some CRC electrical cleaner I found in my garage, turned the motors to wipe the brushes, then wiped them with Q-tips to get the dirt off. Now they both run great.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's been a while since I really had anything worth mentioning. With still trying to get things in order to move no real work has been done. I have been diligently watching craigslist, fb market, and Ebay for those great deals I could actually afford. In the past month after years of searching I've reached 3 major milestones in gathering supplies.

First, I got a 'I just want to get rid of it' deal and now have more than enough track, including switches, for all three planned sections of the layout. Second someone was giving away 2 folding tables so now I have all the tables needed for all three planned sections. And third with these three coaches for $62 including shipping that I got today I now have all the coaches and steamer needed for my long black train. Yes, they're OO gauge but will run on our HO layout. You know the devil, he can't quite get it right.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I like your style, budget railroading. Your doing even better than me on that part! Should be interesting to see the results.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

21 - 26 of 26 Posts